zeppelin in the Audio Nirvana - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2009, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default zeppelin in the Audio Nirvana

i've serched around. answer are certainly out there, but they are never enough and never in the same place. hope this will turn someway useful to Audio Nirvana owners out there.

i bought a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 8" drivers some months ago. gone trought two type of enclosures:

1. Bassreflex: Minimonitr project from audionirvana site. simply no bass, too shouty.
2. Spiral Horn: The japanese one, some words going on other threads of this forum. "sometime" bass. muddy sounding... and Led Zeppelin remaster absolutly inaudible!!! flat as the most flat thing you can think of... bad bad bad.

So looking for a solution i thougt starting a home to discuss of the various enclosures possible for the audionirvana drivers.
i think all the 8" drivers (standard, super w plug, and castframe) should beahave quite the same.

so i invite everybody to share their experiences here about these drivers and give suggestion, in particular:

@Martin J King, would a quarterwave enclosure suite for a "led zeppelin" use of the drivers?? do you have any hints for the project before i run into filling the sheets? (thank you for your patience if you are reading)

@everyone there, is a good BLH horn design to suite the AN 8"?? something possibly less bigger than the Sachiko... lowther style enclosures? solo 206??

thank you everybody. love this forum.
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Speaking not so much to speakers as the CD's:

I had a similar experience when my stepson came over to audition my Lowther MLTL's. Not Zepplin, but U2.

He put on an older CD - mid 90's of U2, I know not that. We listened to it and he was amazed at the detail and precison of the DX3's. He heard things that he never heard before. Then he put in a current CD, I think a 2008 release and again I know not what. The noise that came out ot those speakers was stunning. Garbled, severly clipped, anything that could go wrong did.

Same speakers, same amp. Same volume setting. The old CD was well mastered with good dynamics. A pleasure to listen to. The new CD was fully compressed to maximum loudness. We could lower the volume of the new CD until the worst of the distortion was gone, the the performance was lifeless and weak.

I'll give you a dollar to a donut the same thing is true with your Zepplin remaster. It is mastered for maximum loudness and will be unlistenable on ANY quality speakers. Throw it away.

Funny thing. I have a copy of "Mothership", and while I only use it for demos, I don't find it too bad on the Lowthers.

Bob
Old 24th January 2009, 12:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

indeed the remaster tracks seems to be poorer than the ones from the albums...

but that's just part of the problem... really i think this drivers deserve a better chance... that is a want to find the enclosure they belong.

i've now seen that MJK has removed access to the worksheets, so the question turns into has anyone already designed an MLTL for the AN super 8"??

and what about a BLH design?? have no one give AN a chance in that application? its T/S seems perfect for horn loading...

PS given the BSC, and then the loss in efficency, is there really a difference hearing to a MLTL than a BLH??
Old 24th January 2009, 09:03 AM   #4
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,

the point of such drivers is, they need support below ~800 Hz,
thats not possible with a bass horn, thats why i developed the
double horn construction, SAXOPHON

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.hm-moreart.de/23.htm

take a look.

BTW: my experience with CDs are 2 are well done from 10.
Old 24th January 2009, 11:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would concur with what Bob says....I have never managed to get the remaster zep to sound good on any of my set-ups...and I've tried a few..with some experience of production I would say there are some compression issues on that disc, enough to upset good music systems and discerning ears.......put it in the:

a) dustbin
b) the car
c) the garage boom box

I would suggest you find another reference point for 'tricky to play'

Ed
Old 24th January 2009, 12:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok, the remaster is already spinning down the dustbin...

now let's talk of possible solutions for AN,

let this thread become a list of the good options, to stay for everybody searching the forum to save their AN drivers.

i think that many had gone my route into hi-fi (that is, buyed a t-amp, than wanted a better sounding pair of speaker than the Sany ones to let it sound, and found the site of commond-sense audio full of promises)

@saxophone, i did already stumbled on your site. indeed i cannot consider it as a ready solution since it needs two pair of drivers...
Old 24th January 2009, 01:05 PM   #7
nirvana is offline nirvana  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Super 8 sound

the Audio Nirvana super 8 sound very good with BIB design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bib.jpg (27.0 KB, 1230 views)
Old 24th January 2009, 03:11 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by human.bin
indeed the remaster tracks seems to be poorer than the ones from the albums...

i've now seen that MJK has removed access to the worksheets, so the question turns into has anyone already designed an MLTL for the AN super 8"??

and what about a BLH design?? have no one give AN a chance in that application? its T/S seems perfect for horn loading...

PS given the BSC, and then the loss in efficency, is there really a difference hearing to a MLTL than a BLH??
Indeed! I tried a couple and gave them to a neighbor to play in his 'boom car'. They sound pretty good in it.

Based on published specs, these drivers ideally belong on a small OB or sealed XO'd around 250 Hz to a proper wide BW HE mid-bass/bass system and either EQ'd flat or severely toe'd in. A BLH is a marginal option due to its high mass corner.

Driven with a high output impedance (preferably tube/tx. coupled) to flatten its response and lower its effective mass corner makes a BLH a better, though large, option or some type of MLTL if corner loaded or in a small, well constructed/damped room or a near-field app. Otherwise, the excessive ~24 dB BSC shelving will 'suck the life' out of it, so yes, a much higher system efficiency makes a huge difference WRT getting closer to the illusion of a 'live' event.

I agree that the BIB would be a good 'starter' system to listen to while you're pondering other options. Who knows, it may be enough except for possibly a super-tweeter to add a little top end 'air'.

GM
Old 24th January 2009, 05:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thank you for the exstensive reply GM: what did you give to your neighbour, the drivers or the remasters? i'll be buying Mothership one of these days...

OB really appels to me, but i'm still tring to figure out what electronic is needed and how much will it cost to me...

as a start: having them on two narrow baffles, say 30cm... would they sound good crossed to a simple subwoofer??

would i notice a big difference in tonal balance having a tube amp instead of the t-amp? i'm planning to build one... who doesn't??

didn't anyone made a BLH or tested them in any lowther enclosure?
didn't anyone made a MLTL already?
if you did please share in this thread so people can find it readly

@nelson pass: i'm not sure, but i think you wrote somewhere here you where going to test different AN drivers on openbaffles... any news, any suggestion?
Old 24th January 2009, 06:36 PM   #10
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,

the driver is made for horns,

if you use a sub, than take a look,
to the SAT horns:
TRUMPET; HORN, SCHALMEI
down t0 100 Hz,~ 99-102 dB,
with measurements of different driver.