zeppelin in the Audio Nirvana

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
freddi said:
anyhow - here's Fc, and Qtc for a stamped frame super 10 in a 2.5 cubic foot box - you might subtract the driver's displacemnet which I don't know.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Freddi-
What software are you using for your measurements? Looks interesting.
I don't understand how the software works-I'd have thought that 'Test Box' should have been selected with a vol of 2.5 cuft? (instead of 'Added Mass' method)?

John

OK, then not knowing which of your two driver Fs measurements is closest I averaged them which calc'd a 2.409 ft^3 cab, so adding a vent to tune it to ~48.1 Hz is 'close enough' to Novak's recommendation, i.e. mid-bass 'bumped' response with a wide/flat (no bass) vent tuning to protect it. Interesting that this is very close to what Pi Align calcs.

Anyway, based on this, CSA's slightly larger cab tuned higher makes sense as it extends the 'bump' a bit as does moving the vent up off the cab's bottom. Still doesn't change the fact that being this far off is well beyond the acceptable limits of product performance tolerances by any reasonable measure.

GM

software = Woofer Tester3 -- it wouldn't matter which method selected as I only ran a parameter calculation to get Fc, Qtc and closed box resonance and not Vas - Around 3 cubic foot should be enough box - Fb at 41 seems too low - it puts the 2nd Z peak at much higher amplitude than the 1st and Fb=41 reduced some power handling. I think the 2nd run was better but the driver had sat in a cool room when that was taken. Someone posted T-s for super 12 - seems like it had Qts around 0.7 (?)

does Guide-Sound build Nirvana? http://www.gui-sound.com/

yes they do. and they build much other things too, i think also wooden cones stuff for jvc.

since i'm inscribed on a china trading site i had a talk with one of their engener just for fun since i really don't understand much by now. really kind people there in china.

btw minimum order quantity on drivers is set around 100 pieces and david dicks is not charging that much on them to justify one goes through big order, shipment, tax issues... also a shipment acount is required wich no courier is going to dispose on a private person.

audionirvana prices really are most reasonable thing i went trought in my little audio journey by now!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hifimaker said:
Does anyone feel they need to use a whizzer tweeter to fill in the high end of the Audio Nirvana's? I noticed they tend to roll off a few DB above 16khz.

That has not been my experience measuring the 6.5", 8" and 10"
models, but it depends on how you look at it. If you use baffle step
correction, they are likely to be down a bit. If you notch some of the
upper mid only, they are pretty flat. I haven't finished my listening
tests, but there's no question about the 6.5" drivers having top end.

:cool:

btw Nelson what kind of speakers do you think they were using on the Discovery? why was HAL voice so crappy?

do you think that the 12" can stand alone for the lower region on OB?
and what about the coaxial design with horn tweeter from eminence? it's really reasonably priced, seems like the tweeters comes for free with the woofer i saw them on ebay for 50e

now that you let me think i'v never seen it in original language! and there was the chance time over time (does this sentence makes any sense in english??).
think HAL will be speaking english on the background one of these nights... while i try to figure out what a 'circlotron' is... great site Nelson, thank you for sharing so much knowledge.

human.bin said:
now that you let me think i'v never seen it in original language! and there was the chance time over time (does this sentence makes any sense in english??).

Yes indeed. :) I can't speak for the translations, but I imagine a lot of the feeling gets lost. If you get chance, do give it a shot in English. It's not exactly a dialogue-centered film anyway ;) so just soak up the atmosphere.

I really, really want to see it on a big screen though. As in the original Cinerama size. A TV doesn't exactly cut it for something like this. Well, I can always wish. :( There were some rumour they were going to process it into IMAX DMR, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Sorry about the OT guys!

stumbling around i found a really strange BLH horn design from a guy, which sells them and isn't probably going to share any plan... he claims 96db/w below 30hz from a single 6.5" AN... they let you think everything is green in Canada

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...n_speakers_rear_loaded_65_inch_single_driver/

if someone goes to see the pics, doesn't the opened rear wall has bad influence on the sound?

human.bin said:
stumbling around i found a really strange BLH horn design.......

if someone goes to see the pics, doesn't the opened rear wall has bad influence on the sound?

Yeah, the opening cuts a 'slice' out of the effective horn mouth and the huge room cavity acts as a band stop filter, so it should create a deep notch in the response somewhere down low.

BTW, regardless of my feelings WRT the CSA's specs, Freddy's published ones have ~ the same mass corner, so BLH, BVR or BIB are still good choices for deep bass.

GM

Came home to a letter invitating me to view this online:-

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

81 in a 70 zone.

So I was in a fairly good mood until I came on here.

You guys. You really annoy the 5hit out of me. I must be a glutton for punishment.

One measurement isn't worth a damn.

So although it's Super 8's I've got, now I've got to take them apart and measure them. Since I usually listen to them and type, this is gonna cramp my style somewhat. Plus I consider this process a mild encouragement to paranoia and unlikely to enhance my listening pleasure.

I'll also try to measure them in the boxes, but this probably means taking one outside. After a while you don't notice the trains hardly at all.

The enclosures currently sit against the wall about 1.5 metres from the corner of a room about 7*6 metres, at the same narrow end as the chimney breast. In between the speakers alongside the chimney a large chest of drawers supports the TV, DVD, amplifiers etc., so this doesn't show them off to the best advantage. There's just nowhere else. It's a bedroom but we live in it. It's a king size bed but then there are two collies. I have been thinking about a projector and screen hung from the ceiling, but I keep hoping that one of the kids will leave home.

I guess there are a few other people out there living with 'sub-optimal' speaker positioning. One's firing straight at me the other's at right angles. Funny thing, you can still tune out the difference between the location of the audio image and the visual image if you get involved in the material. Anyway you can see why I consider most of this stuff t1ts on a bull.

I'll have to cobble something together in Cubase to put out a rising tone and record simultaneously. I need some blu-tack too. When was the last time I used those scales? Oh, right.

Don't expect any results before the weekend.

Originally posted by Oates
'I am just going outside and may be some time.'

w

to me it seems that biggest problem in the picture is you are driving reverse direction than the rest of the world... :)

sir, i would really consider a projector, i've got one: it's a not coming back if you are into movies... a 720p dlp can be as low as 450e on the internet. and then 2001 can turn someway big as scottmosse suggested, images preserve bigtime quality even 3m wide

freddi said:
FWIW -- Vas for AN10 in a 2.4 cubic foot sealed box -- Woofer Tester 3 wanted a smaller test box but it still might be ok
Freddi-
Thanks.

That Vas (3.5 cuft) is pretty close to the AN spec of 102L (3.6 cuft).

I notice that the Q values seem closer to the AN specs as well:
Yours/AN
Qts .42/.29
Qms 3.4/2.9
Qes .48/.32

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.