Zigmahornet build- Help im new

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SO i bought all the wood today. Had a cabinet shop cut it for me. I told them i would to the angles, but for the life of me i cant get em fig out. So i was searching around and saw this pic from larkinrulez. He just flat top his zigmahornets. Y cant you just do that instead of doing all the angles. Does it have any effect on sound?

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 610
Hi tigh4life, speaking strictly as a fellow newb, I don't see any disadvantage to a flat top.

I simulated the enclosure in Martin J. King's software, and the enclosure does not seem to provide any low frequency support (in other words, it's just there as an infinite baffle, to prevent the cone's rear radiation from canceling out the front radiation, thus the dimensions and angles aren't all that critical). In this cab, and in infinite baffle, the bass output is apparently the same -- a rolloff at 100Hz.

But people rave about the sound because the narrow baffles provide fantastic imaging. Personally, I'd make it flat myself while people better at woodworking might make it angled because it looks cool. I don't think there's any sonic benefit. But keep in mind I haven't built it, this is just one person's opinion, and let's see what others have to say.

I've got a pair of Zigmas. I don't think the angle at the top is going to have a large impact. I not even sure this design is anything more than aesthetic, really. Personally, I found these speakers to have some serious short comings - first being the bass, second being the (lack of) a crossover mating the driver to the enclosure. They are pretty speakers (esp. with the angle on top), but could use a lot of work. I bet the roll off closer to 200Hz, which makes them seriously limited, and the frequency response has a large tilt upwards (due to baffle step and the drivers raw response). I think someone described it as 'melt your ears' (thats a little extreme though).

But don't let me damp your spirits - I really enjoyed making mine. But having built and listened to them made me have serious doubts about sixmoon's ability to do credible reviews...

my continuous search leads me to believe what you say to be tru. I was just reading a post about a BIB enclosure from gychang that he posted about the fe103e sounding excellent and the bass is excellent also. but know i cant find that post now.

Is looks like an open box. havnt read into exactly what a BIB is or how to build one, but from his pictures it looks fairly easy. any suggestions on this enclosure also?

BiB's should be placed in corners. What's your room like?

In my limited experience, if you can go up a notch or two from the FE103E, you wouldn't regret it. The bigger drivers dictate taller cabs which seem to work better with the ceiling's corners. With a little BiB, you might want to flip it over to load the floor's corners.

They won't have a big woofer's thump. But they can do deep bass in corners. especially with a bigger driver, e.g. a 6-incher and up. Any chance you can audition some before building?

planet10 said:

Whats that? Something i should build or look into?

IDK of a way to audition them. I would love to go to a bigger/higher speaker. Im in the market for somthin all around. Not just midbass. This setup will be placed in my room but i dont know the size of it. And i dont want to put them in a corner. I would like to place them next to my tv bc thats really the only place i have enough room. My ceilings are normal 10ft ceilings.

I found the post i was talking about, the BIB.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90973

How do i build these? Wheres the diagram for them?

Hi tigh4life, if it's a BiB you want, visit http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp and click on "How to Build a BiB" and also the Fostex link which has dimensions for Fostex drivers.

However, if these are not going in the corners, you would be better off building (a) the Vampyr that Dave / planet10 posted if it's the FE103E you want, or otherwise, (b) a traditional box of some kind, whether sealed or vented.

What kind of music do you listen to? That could be key.

I listen to a variety. Elton John, Dave matthews band, R&B, Rap, Country, I love live music because of how the musician plays out the song and adds more to it.

I re-read the post by gychang and saw the specs of the BIB box he built. Im gonna build a diagram to post and see if my dimensions are correct.

As far as the speakers/drivers go, i want to buy a set thats gonna last a lifetime and sound just as great. I dont wanna limit myself at all. Ill spend the extra money now to not have to have 5 diff sets of speakers laying around. My budget needs to stay under $200 for the speakers. The wood and all doesnt matter. The amp is going to be an amp6.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tigh4life said:
Whats that? Something i should build or look into?

Designed in the same form factor as the Zigma, but it should actually work. A new design, no-one has reported back yet on a build.

I found the post i was talking about, the BIB.
How do i build these? Wheres the diagram for them?

Lots of BIB info here... including the giant BIB thread,

Godzilla's website is the repository of design info and a design SS. They really should be in the corner and the mouth needs to load into the ceiling (or the floor)

dave

Gotcha. When I was first starting out, a single-driver guru told me to start with small drivers and small cabs. That was good advice. A decent starting point is the Fostex FE127E in small vented boxes.

I would not advise the BiB unless you can at least get them against a wall. Corners would be better.

In terms of musical tastes, the single-driver stuff really shines on jazz, small ensembles, acoustic, female vocals, solo cello, etc. With a sub, though, single drivers can do anything in my opinion.

Id like to be the first to post back on the Vampyr. Ill look into this and see what i can accomplish over the weekend. I have a free weekend neways. This will keep me busy.

The BIB will be against a wall but not in a corner. I think i have a good understanding of the BIB build. Im gonna post a drawing of it in a few. Its rough free hand but i think youll get the point.

Ill be adding a sub. I cant listen to music ne more without having a sub. It completes and fills out the sound.

Thanks for the replys. keep them coming. I think ill trash the orig zigmahornet design as of now.

amp6

I've tried an amp6, amp3 and a charlize amp and none of them were a nice fit with my fostex fe108es bibs. A gainclone (patek clone, more or less) and an firstwatt f2 are a much better combo.

the little tripath amps on the other hand were a great match with monacor sp60x bibs. surprisingly beat the gainclone noticeably, especially in the bass.

guess my point is the combo of amp and speakers is almost as important as choosing the speakers. you may not be happy with the amp6 and the smaller fostex speakers. i'm not sure how well the amp6 would drive them but you may want to look at the jordans as a speaker to keep for the long haul, either a gm mltl cabinet or the bibs.

let us know what you decide!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.