Zigmahornet build- Help im new - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2009, 11:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zigmahornet build- Help im new

SO i bought all the wood today. Had a cabinet shop cut it for me. I told them i would to the angles, but for the life of me i cant get em fig out. So i was searching around and saw this pic from larkinrulez. He just flat top his zigmahornets. Y cant you just do that instead of doing all the angles. Does it have any effect on sound?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (32.3 KB, 567 views)
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi tigh4life, speaking strictly as a fellow newb, I don't see any disadvantage to a flat top.

I simulated the enclosure in Martin J. King's software, and the enclosure does not seem to provide any low frequency support (in other words, it's just there as an infinite baffle, to prevent the cone's rear radiation from canceling out the front radiation, thus the dimensions and angles aren't all that critical). In this cab, and in infinite baffle, the bass output is apparently the same -- a rolloff at 100Hz.

But people rave about the sound because the narrow baffles provide fantastic imaging. Personally, I'd make it flat myself while people better at woodworking might make it angled because it looks cool. I don't think there's any sonic benefit. But keep in mind I haven't built it, this is just one person's opinion, and let's see what others have to say.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. I dont see y it would be an issues but this is my first DIY speaker build of this sort. Ive built tons of car audio boxs but those were for subs, not fullrange
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's cool that you build subs because I think you're going to want one. Unless you're listening to certain types of acoustic music. Anyway, let's see if we can get a second opinion.
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

And ive got plenty of them. I just read a few postings about flat topping them and no1 really seems to have a definitive answer about y its a bad idea to flat instead of slope them. But i dont wanna waste my time is a slope is gonna sound better
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:39 AM   #6
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got a pair of Zigmas. I don't think the angle at the top is going to have a large impact. I not even sure this design is anything more than aesthetic, really. Personally, I found these speakers to have some serious short comings - first being the bass, second being the (lack of) a crossover mating the driver to the enclosure. They are pretty speakers (esp. with the angle on top), but could use a lot of work. I bet the roll off closer to 200Hz, which makes them seriously limited, and the frequency response has a large tilt upwards (due to baffle step and the drivers raw response). I think someone described it as 'melt your ears' (thats a little extreme though).

But don't let me damp your spirits - I really enjoyed making mine. But having built and listened to them made me have serious doubts about sixmoon's ability to do credible reviews...
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

my continuous search leads me to believe what you say to be tru. I was just reading a post about a BIB enclosure from gychang that he posted about the fe103e sounding excellent and the bass is excellent also. but know i cant find that post now.

Is looks like an open box. havnt read into exactly what a BIB is or how to build one, but from his pictures it looks fairly easy. any suggestions on this enclosure also?
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

BiB's should be placed in corners. What's your room like?

In my limited experience, if you can go up a notch or two from the FE103E, you wouldn't regret it. The bigger drivers dictate taller cabs which seem to work better with the ceiling's corners. With a little BiB, you might want to flip it over to load the floor's corners.

They won't have a big woofer's thump. But they can do deep bass in corners. especially with a bigger driver, e.g. a 6-incher and up. Any chance you can audition some before building?
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:06 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Vampyr
Attached Images
File Type: gif vampyr-v-zigma.gif (21.0 KB, 499 views)
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Vampyr
Whats that? Something i should build or look into?

IDK of a way to audition them. I would love to go to a bigger/higher speaker. Im in the market for somthin all around. Not just midbass. This setup will be placed in my room but i dont know the size of it. And i dont want to put them in a corner. I would like to place them next to my tv bc thats really the only place i have enough room. My ceilings are normal 10ft ceilings.

I found the post i was talking about, the BIB.
twin BIB born on thansgiving day

How do i build these? Wheres the diagram for them?

Hide this!Advertise here!