Help finding 1/2 inch wool felt ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I can't say about your guys in the US, but I found it at an automotive re-upholsterer up here in the frozen wastelands of Canada. Ask for automotive carpet underlay. They had two kinds here- just make sure he understands it's the wool felt type you're after.

The best part is it's dirt cheap.

Kevin

I have a friend that felts old sweaters and uses the material for mittens, bags, etc. It's a well-known technique in the craft hobby world, and you'll find plenty of info out there if you search for it. Basically you wash in very hot water and the fibers entangle into a medium-dense felt up to 1/2" thick as the sweater shrinks to half its size.

Since you can buy a sweater at a thrift store or rummage sale for just a few bucks, this is definitely the cheap way to go.

--Buckapound

Buckapound said:
Basically you wash in very hot water and the fibers entangle into a medium-dense felt up to 1/2" thick as the sweater shrinks to half its size.

Since you can buy a sweater at a thrift store or rummage sale for just a few bucks, this is definitely the cheap way to go.

& add a few drops of liquid soap to the hot water.
rub together & the wool mats together.

You can get raw wool from a local fiber arts co-op here, big bag is real cheap, can make as thick or thin as you wish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.