Bose 901 Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's be serious (just for a moment) about 901s!

[For the many Bose haters, I will put in suggesting snide remarks where appropriate.]

I am one of those who actually own Bose 901s and like them. Like most old speakers something fails once in a while. ["Yeah, the entire design!"] My current pair has what is for me an odd problem: works fine but will unpredictably cut out intermittently. Very sure the problem is speaker, not the amp. Possibly a dying driver? I was hoping to not have to open it up but it may be time to check each driver and replace the 40-year old wirewrap with more modern solder :)

Fortunately for me I have laid in a supply of working Bose 901s (4 pair total) so can swap them in and out as needed. This is an important fact because:

1. I am lazy.
2. Sometimes more drastic measures is required than cleaning the speaker terminal with Goof-Off and De-oxit.

On to a more general idea: I have owned B*se 901 for years and have not found a definitive answer to the following:

What are suitable replacement drivers? No, this is not for the later ported (series III-VI) but the sealed and in my opinion better series I, II. I've tried a few "Brand X" replacements and they were junk. So far my cheapest re-supply has been buying more used 901s :)

["I recommend the driver of an M-1 Abrams Tank, to drive over your 901s and fix them."]

None that I know of. Early in the thread I said I had no specs, but recently I resurrected an early speaker design program that has some done long ago and basically, it's a horn driver spec wise, so odds are that there's no = today except possibly through a prosound manufacturer.

GM

Attachments

• Bose 901 4 in specs.gif
    Bose 901 4 in specs.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 194
Freddi: I have a REW curve from a 901-II active eq I can send you if you want. (frequency only, well maybe not ... it is a REW reading.)

Hi Soldermizer,

I own a pair of 901 serie 3. my original Bose EQ is broken. I would like to have a XML param file for minidsp 2x4 to replace my broken EQ. Just with standard settings (controls of the bose eq in the middle position).

have you already create such file ???

or somebody else on this forum ?

thanks for your help ...

I will, of course, provide feedback on this forum if success.

regards from France

Roland

Bonjour Roland! I do not have that EQ curve, but you may be able to find it here:
http://worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en_us/web/901_series3/page.html

You may, of course, duplicate the original EQ curve. But why? If you have a modern EQ or even a 1980-s vintage ten-band graphic EQ, you can EQ to your own taste. With all Bose 901 you just deeply cut the middle frequencies and boost most the bass and some the highs.

I do not know the market in the EU, but unless you want to keep your Bose EQ, why not sell it on Ebay? Even broken it will probably be worth some money. I have sold about two EQ units (working) and they are worth maybe between $50-100.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.