My BiB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2009, 01:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My BiB

Hi all: well, my BiB with Fostex FE167E are set and playing as I type this. Albeit, on temp. bases! I'm 'burning-in' to see if I like the sound.......I'll post a picture once I work out how to attach it as a smaller size!
Gosh, the sound is big and mellow, with such deep deep bass...I can't believe it! All driven by a 12 wpc channel Yaqin valve amp affectionately known as: "the beast"!
Thanks to all who have been involved with the development of these...(you guys know who you are)...sad about Terry though..R.I.P.

Now for the question....I might be needing a bit of high Freq. boost...as I have the gear set up in a notoriously shocking (flat ) room. I would be looking at either a super- tweeter or the horn tweeter from Fostex with an attenuator/control. What size cap. or resister do I place in the circuit?

Once this is sorted, I'll pull them apart and 'dress' them up to look great! I made them out of 12 ply 'speaker' plywood...which is very pale. Anyway, thanks all.
Regards: Dave
Amazing sound .....but I've already said that!
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

G'day davethomp,

I have the FE167E's.

Which BIB plans did you use?
What is 12 ply 'speaker' plywood?

Got any pics?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex: the plywood I purchased from a second-hand timber dealer/recycler down here in Melbourne. He had a mountain of this 16mm 10 or 12 ply plywood that was used for speaker manufacturing prior to the 'dreaded' MDF taking over. It's good stuff...but as you would expect, hard to cut straight without burring the edges when you cut. And I don't have a saw bench, so I had to mount steel straight edges etc along the lines and use my trusty circular saw. I didn't do a bad job. Most are pretty good. One piece did warp a bit after I cut it...but that's another story!
The measurements for the "Bigger is Better" I got from the internet site hosted and supported by ZillaAudio.com (Godzilla). You'll find some pictures, and in the "how to" section a new list of dimensions to suit a lot of single drivers ie; Fostex, Jordan etc. The measurements are all in inches...and they have internal and external measurements depedning obviously on the dimensions of your timber, and the baffle sizes to suit, packing the dacron, driver placement etc. There's a few pictures of construction, but really you have to make it up as you go. It isn't too bad...just big as you'd expect and bloody heavy! Mine stand about 1.7 mts high and weigh around 50kgs!!!!
re some pix, I can't shrink the photos down so that they will be accepted on the site.....mine are jpeg files. I'll get some posted for you on the weekend....brother-in-law is a computer whiz!
Kind REgards: Dave
Old 22nd January 2009, 05:11 AM   #4
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I live in Melbourne, can I come to your place and listen to these speakers?

Cheers.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi TTan98: mmmmmmmm, I'll post a note to you when I get the BiB's looking a little better! Obviously I'm always concerned about my address/contact being posted over the site...but I'll let you know! A friend of mine and a couple of guys who build their own speakers live nearby....and we are thinking about having a 'night' in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne. I'll keep you posted...have to arrange a room at one of the local clubs and enough notice so that people can plan moving some of their gear. Mine would need a horse float! I know a couple of guys who have built Jordan single driver gear who are keen to get together. Some others that have built their own amps etc. A sort of local 'Burning Amp" festival.....stranger things have started from simple beginnings!
Also, once I can work out how to get the pictures down to an acceptable bit rate, I'l get some pictures posted.
One last thing...my FE167e have now played for about 20 hours and I think they are starting to open up in the highs a bit...either that or I'm getting used to the single driver sound!!!! I'm about to unplug "the beast"...(all 12 watt of Yaqin valve amp) and plug in some variations of SS gear to see what happens. .....ahhh; the fun, the fun!
Kind Regards: dave
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:01 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

You will have to set the level, then try different caps till you find what sounds best to you in your room, so grab a 0.5 and 1 uF to see if going lower or higher is required and go from there.

WRT setting the level, best to use a cheap adjustable L-pad and measure it to get the values to make good quality fixed ones.

GM
Old 22nd January 2009, 04:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Your BIB's look really great Dave. Thanks for sending me a pic. It looks like they are angled in towards the listening position. This will minimize the need for a tweeter of some kind.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/systems.asp

Mine are angled in slightly with a super tweeter on the back. I used a .47uf cap with a Radio Shack pod super tweeter. I recommend the $37 Fostex (which is not the same but similar) as a super tweeter with your 167e. If you wanted to buy one of the freestanding super tweeters from Fostex (expensive but excellent) you could build a slim stand and place them next to the BIBs. Just a suggestion. If you are enjoying the sound without the tweeter i suggest keeping them exactly the way they are until you really feel the need (or save up the $$$) to 'enhance' their sound.

Godzilla
Old 22nd January 2009, 07:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davethomp
One last thing...my FE167e have now played for about 20 hours and I think they are starting to open up in the highs a bit...
G'day davethomp,
You need at least 100 hours to for the FE167E to open up.
For my ears, it was around the 200 hour mark that I felt they had really settled. Personally I don't feel the need for a tweeter.

Thanks for the reply re plans and 'speaker' ply.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey guys: thanks for the replies! Hey Alex, there's a response there from Godzilla....get onto his site and check out the "Bigger is Better" site and see the specs for the various single drivers. There's also some really great pix of fantastic BiB speaker cabinets from builders around the globe! Simply inspiring stuff! As I stated, as soon as I dress them up a bit I'll have an 'open day' for people who want to come and have a beer...I mean, a listen! There's a few guys from 'Stereonet' that want to come over as well. I'll keep you posted.
Kind Regards to all: Dave
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:50 AM   #10
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default WOW!!! BIBs are great!

I built a pair of BIBs using Zilla's Excel spread sheet. I am amazed at the sound that comes out of them. Column Z on my copy of the spreadsheet allowed me to put in my own speaker parameters. I had a couple of old MCM 5 inch drivers laying around, so I put them in the spreadsheet and built the boxes accordingly. WOW! For a pair of $14 speakers, I can hardly believe the sound. They sound FAR better than the cost would lead a guy to believe. I haven't "finished" the boxes yet, I've been enjoying them without them looking "pretty." I have a pair of Radio Shack 1354s I was going to build some "straight pipes" for, but I've been rethinking that after hearing the BIBs.
I am definitely a believer in these boxes!!!!!!

My hat is off to Godzilla for a great project.

Hide this!Advertise here!