Help with Angular Spiral - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2009, 12:46 AM   #1
yan6 is offline yan6  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Help with Angular Spiral

Hi there, I just finished my Solo206's and they are amazing. So much so my dad wanted to get in on the DIY speaker thing. Size was an issue for his space so he decided on the Helix AG280Zhttp://spiralspeaker.web.fc2.com/aaa...ng-ag280z.html with a fostex FE206.

They had a nice sound but the bass is seriously lacking, it seems marginally fine on smaller vocal music like Patricia Barber. But on something Like the Chili Peppers the bottom end is just not there. Does anyone have any experience with this cabinet and what could be going on. I emailed Mr. Takenaka but still haven't heard back yet.

There are a few things that I am thinking but have not tried. I'm wondering what adding a series resistor similar to that required by the Curvy Chang would do? and whether or not a cross over of sorts would help. I remember a cabinet that mentioned it needed a cross over or else there would be no bass.

I hope there is an answer out there?

Cheers

Ryan
Old 21st January 2009, 01:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

mmm, theres a thread over in the loudspeakers forum called "anyone for 3D spiral horns"....

it describes what a few of us who have built these designs have heard. I built the smaller ones using some jordan 92s and it sounded lovely. But the same ones with FE127s were a bit rough. i built the ones you have done for the fE206 and got exactly the same result as you. My build was not ideal though....

Another guy "human.bin" I think is his username has built them too and got the same result but he removed the bottom I think and now has more bass. If you can't find the thread email me - I have it linked somewhere.

Please do continue to post. Given that 3 of us have found this with this design leads me to think that something ain;t right so its good to share the experience.

Have you any photos you could post?

Fran
Old 21st January 2009, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't recommend it but I personally have never tried it....It is possible to stick a resonating area in that..but I don't personally recommend it as for cars it sounds loud and muddy...anyway..why not sticking a capacitor/resistor crossover on it? I found it to be more of a bass boost than a crossover...plus the bass is tight...just search google and you might find something on it...good luck.
Old 21st January 2009, 01:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

heres the thread:

3D Spiral Horns Anyone?

Fran
Old 21st January 2009, 02:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, that sucks! It would be such a loss if it weren't for the material costs. I had some left over walnut from some flooring that I was going to us to trim it up and then stain the whole thing a mahogany cherry with gloss poly.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

these are actually a second set for my sister. We used some scrap mdf for the internals so we were able to get two sets out of one & a quarter sheet.
Old 21st January 2009, 03:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Fran thanks for that link, I like the part about the bottom. I wonder if cutting a nice 4" pipe size hole would work just as well. On my way to the grocery store just now, I was thinking I wonder if it is a size problem ie: cabinet to small for FE206 and was wondering what something smaller would sound like in these. The problem is I don't have and I'm not sure I want to invest anything more in something already not working that well.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'll try to get back to mine maybe next week (if my F5 boards don't arrive first!!). And I'll make the opening bigger. FWIW, I blocked the ports too and it made no difference. The bigger opening maybe with a BSC might make them more listenable.

My problem is that I'm used to listening through a pair of Quad ESLs and they are bloody hard to beat.

the Sachiko horns are what I had planned to do, but its gonna be a while before I get to them.

Fran
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

the mentioned thread was this one
3D Spiral Horns Anyone?

i did built a slightly different -floorstander- version, the bg-250. but i since i used Audionirvana drivers, which i once tought where almost the same as fostex (to stop being a newbie is a time consuming task!), so fault was almost completly on my side.

bottom removed, corner loaded, is sounding great on acoustical music. but a bsc is surely needed for the AN super 8". bigger opening on back is also working, with bottom in place again, i'm working on its, really slowly.

anyway since the openings are putting out sounds in the mids some cancellation is often experienced in my room, some male voice get really thin...

if i had some money for a sub, i'd gone OB by time...

a question since you can do direct comparison on the same driver: how is the sound compared to the solo? not in terms of frequency exstension (altought due to mouth opening, the spiral "horn" should go lower), but in terms of dinamic, clarity and etc. etc. i ask since i never heard a horn and have no idea how it differs from BR loading, if it does...
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

They sound very similar in top end sound, I do find as a whole that the angular spiral sound a little thinner and almost tinnier. We tried several ways with the angular on top of my solo206 wired parallel with the solo206, we tried solo206 on one channel and angular on the other and of course each on thier own. In the end it always came down to the angular was missing a lot of the bottom end. It was interesting but they didnt sound out of place with each other. Although I love the sound from the solo206 and am extremly satisfied with them. I think I liked the sound better when the two of them were together. The solo206 I find is very strong with the bass and can go low (I dont have the equipment to measure it). The only other comment I think that the sound stage or presence of the angular is not as nice as with the solo206.
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

this seems very strange to me, maybe your spiral is not working correctly.

i explain: for what i know LF extension should be limited on the solo to the opening area of the mouth, that is 50hz in almost every compact single mouth horn design.
with my spiral i'm getting a good 35hz, and i'll do some better hearing test when possible, they are at my girlfriend place so i can't work constantly on them.

if you have a computer or test cd you can maybe run some pure tone in the LF and tell us what's audible.

anyway in the HF the sound is tinner also to me than the previous quarter-wave (formerly BR on the audionirvana site, mini-monitor size) that also did a better job at imaging and disappearing (probably this is simply due to corner loading)

please run some tone, for there is not enough information about this kind of enclosure, and still not enough interest has rised here on this forum. while i think they candidate as a real good solution for small drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!