Suggestions for Merill DCA 5.5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a pair of nice Merill DCA 5.5 not the current sold DCA 4.

I'm quite impressed by all praises of the tiny zigmahorn!

As I went along in forums like diyaudio ...searched with google...I couldn't find any drawings or similar.

Does anybody know a great cab proposal???

I heard of "BIB" (Bigger is Better ?!)and PAWO Horns - but no concret drawings or pictures.

Please post your suggestions.

I will present the results here later, I will use fine oiled maple wood.

Jochen

Attachments

• img_5410a.jpg
    img_5410a.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 379
McLanz said:
Hi,
I have a pair of nice Merill DCA 5.5 not the current sold DCA 4.

I'm quite impressed by all praises of the tiny zigmahorn!

As I went along in forums like diyaudio ...searched with google...I couldn't find any drawings or similar.

Does anybody know a great cab proposal???

I heard of "BIB" (Bigger is Better ?!)and PAWO Horns - but no concret drawings or pictures.

Please post your suggestions.

I will present the results here later, I will use fine oiled maple wood.

Jochen

Hi

i tried them in my Hedlund two years ago, they sound wonderful very balance , they sounded much much better than the jordan in hedlund

i have the driver specification from dave

vmps

Re: Re: Thanks!

planet10 said:

It took us a long time to find a driver that worked in thse boxes. If the specs on yours are similar to mine, it would be touch & go... These definitly need the supraBaffle.

dave

What Dave forgot to say is that the above driver was the Fostex FE127E

The supra baffle as shown in the posted photo of PAWOs was helpful in reducing reflections from the back panel of the very shallow cabinet (allowing playing with extra felt damping pads immediately behind the driver ). Quite simply we found the system very confused and muddled in the vocal midband area with the driver mounted flush.

Something else interesting to try would be to continue the EnABL pattern treatment on the supraBaffle and main enclosure baffle. We've had one pair of enclosures (FonkenPrime) treated this way, and to my ears, while not as significant an improvement as to the driver cone, it's never the less incremental.

DCA 5.5

If anyone is still interested in a fairly simple Cabinet design for Dave Merrills DCA5.5s I can post some pictures and specs. I have had the drivers in a pair of cabinets I made for some Fostex FE 164s. The Fostex sounded mediocre at best and the cabinets sat in a corner forgotten for about a year and then I bought some of the last drivers Dave had available and didn't have time to throw together a pair of PAWOs so made a set of spacers to mount the smaller driver, hooked them up and have been enjoying them for about a year and a half. I had not realized some of the cabinet designs were not working well until I went searching for more of Daves drivers and discovered the Two Bald Guys were getting a new production run. I have four tube amp setups I have tried these with and also an ARCAM AVR300 and these drivers put to shame any Fostex set up I have tried. Also they compete with my Moth Audio Cicadas and Lowther DX3s. The cabinets are basically a "mini" version of Terry Cains Abby.

I will try to get some pictures posted by tomorrow. The cabinet dimensions are: Height/ 50" (1.27 centimeters)
Width/ 8" (20.32 centimeters)
Depth/ Taper 1" (2.54 centimeters)
8" (20.32 centimeters)
The driver center is 18" (45.72 centimeters) from the top.
These are inside dimensions. As I stated, this design looks similar to the Cain & Cain Abby.
I used 3/4" Oak veneered plywood on the front and some 1/2" particle board that is covered with1/4" cork for the back and sides.
The particle board with the cork were bulletin boards that were taken out of a college dormitory I did some remodel work on.
I plan on doing a modified design in a week or two and will keep you posted on how they work. I plan on using the new design in a home theater surround system.
I really like the DCA 5.5s and didn't think they could sound bad as I had never heard them in anything but the cabinets they are in now. They sounded so good in these cabinets I was never motivated to try the PAWO Horn. I have used these in my primary system for a year and a half now They replaced a pair of Fostex F120A drivers that I thought were pretty sweet.
I did put the DCA 5.5s in another spare set of cabinets I have yesterday after reading how some people didn't like them and they sounded much less open and very muddy on the bottom end. Obviously the cabinet design is important with these drivers.

Dca 5.5

The port is the width of the cabinet and 3 1/2" tall.
These cabinets were thrown together in an afternoon and then when they didn't work with the Fostex drivers, I sat them aside. They have never been finished but I plan on improving the design sometime soon when I get my shop cleaned up.

Attachments

• meriall-tqwt.jpg
    meriall-tqwt.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 144
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.