Sealing enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a pair of Planet 10's Mileva flat packs. Due, I am sure, to my own ineptitude there are some gaps in the construction -- seams between adjoining pieces of wood. On the outside, I have filled these in with some wood filler Dave sent along. I'll eventually put some veneer on these as well which will presumably help even more with sealing, but probably not for a while.

I am wondering, however, if before I put the backs on I should fill the inside of these seams to be sure they are really airtight, either with the wood filler, or with some sort of silicon caulk, or anything else.

I am wondering, however, if before I put the backs on I should fill the inside of these seams to be sure they are really airtight, either with the wood filler, or with some sort of silicon caulk, or anything else.

Filling the seams additionally is always a good idea.
As wood "works", even "dead" material as chipboard, any hard filling material as wood filler is prone to crack. Therefore elastic materials as silicone is the way to go. It glues well and is long lasting.

Take also care to use suitable sealing (foam, rubber ring sheets etc.) to mount the drivers. Watch out for leakage at the driver mounting screws as well (supposed to mean tighten screws well and once in a while check as screws can become loose due to vibrations).

BTW, a simple test for cabinet air leakage:
push the cone (carefully) inside the box. When releasing, the cone should return in its rest position quickly. In case it "sneaks out" the box slowly, You very probably have an air leakage problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.