Fe107e or FF85k?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i can't answer you questione exactly, but i know the fe108es very well.

berfore modding it, the sound was to harsh and the highs were to loud. for my taste, i always had to use a notch to tame the highs in the frugal-horn. after modding it with felt around the driver and on the legs and c37-lacquer on the cone it was much better, but sill a bit to harsh. finally i bite the bullet and a few days ago i installed phase plugs :bigeyes:. imho a notch is not needed anymore :D.

maybe you should try to enabl the 127e and try a phase-plug?

the "magic-dots" are the next thing i am going to do with my modded fostexes :smash:.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
type said:
I found the fe127e to be too harsh in the upper range for my liking but liked their overall sound. How does the fe107e compare to the ff85K? Or, for that matter how to both compare to the 127e? I'm looking for something that sounds smooth all around.

I find the FE127e harsh too.. the peak at 7k or so can really be fatiguing... as the FE127eN shows, most of that can be removed... between my site and comments in various threads everything (except practise) to duplicate what i do can be found. I understand that the FE103 is smoother out of the box, FE107 should be similar. FF85 is an awesome driver, but starts rising sharply (or so the measures and the young ones who can hear that high) above 15k. I'm working on that one too.

dave

type said:
I'm leaning towards the Fe107e right now (though I wonder if they'll have more bass than my 3 inch Tang Bands). Is there a reason to step up to the 108Ez? I suppose I could also do the fe167e but like the appearance of smaller drivers better.

If you plan on a typical sealed or ported design, it would be best to go with the FE103E instead of the FE107E. The 107 is better suited for horns.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I find the FE127e harsh too.. the peak at 7k or so can really be fatiguing... as the FE127eN shows, most of that can be removed... between my site and comments in various threads everything (except practise) to duplicate what i do can be found. I understand that the FE103 is smoother out of the box, FE107 should be similar. FF85 is an awesome driver, but starts rising sharply (or so the measures and the young ones who can hear that high) above 15k. I'm working on that one too.

dave
I can confirm
Ive recently listen to a untreated 127 and the 127en, the untreated is harsh, the 127 isnt at all

Rather late to answer the opening post, as all drivers in the FE & FF series have been either upgraded or discontinued since 2009 - but in any case, given a choice between the two sizes, from my exposure I'd opine the FE103(now En ) to be "smoothest" overall of the current series.

However if you're not overly sensitive to the actual sonics (or averse to the optics ;)) of the 7-10K trough/peak, the FF85WK is excellent when used within its operating limits- which when HP'd and supported with woofer, can be substantially extended, but that wasn't posed in the original question

I love the FE103En a bit more than the (much fancier, twice as expensive) FE108E-Sigma. Both are excellent, a bit different, not harsh in the least.

As chops said, 103 goes into a simple ported box, whereas (as Dave said), the 108 needs either a horn or a helping woofer. Either by itself benefits (obviously) from a sub, and can work on OB.

Is the 107 still available?

The FF85wk is very smooth. The little dips and peaks are quite mild and it extends all the way to 20khz without much complaint. Only problem is unless you're listening quitely at your desk, you need low frequency support.

I too enjoy the FF85wk. Its very detailed from the upper mid range on up but from the lower mid range on down, it seems to miss some music. Perhaps the 4" FF105wk is the better all around driver without the peakiness of the FF125wk. It probably comes down to how much of that upper mid range magic of the FF85wk one is willing to sacrifice. Its easy to get addicted to detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.