Greenhorn Curvy Chang Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Could someone direct me to the downloadable enABL templates for fe207s...going round in circles trying to find them.

Thank you.

Planet 10, if your out there, which is better, one coat of podge or 2 coats more diluted? do I do the whole whizzer or just the lip, in and outside?

Thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dust said:
Planet 10, if your out there, which is better, one coat of podge or 2 coats more diluted? do I do the whole whizzer or just the lip, in and outside?

2 thin coats, whole whizzer just on the inside & top of the lip. Take care not to get any into the VC gap (one assumes if you are EnABLing you already have phase plugs)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dust said:
Could someone direct me to the downloadable enABL templates for fe207s...going round in circles trying to find them.

I don't know if specific templates exist.... i just print out lots & lots of scaled templates (there are only 3 kinds (cylidrical (inside or outside pattern), disk with pattern on outside, disk with pattern on inside -- you only need 1 of #1 (inside) and 2 of #2 for the 207 (and another of #1 (outside) for the phase plugs)) and just pick the ones that are the right size for the application.

Cylindrical ones (dustcaps, inside voice coils, phase plugs) are pickier about size so you need to print lots of them, cut them out (don't forget to leave a glue tab), make them a cylinder and see if it fits.. (an example attached). I'll take a pic of some of my template collection when my batteries charge.

dave

Attachments

• linear-templates.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 91
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:
I'll take a pic of some of my template collection when my batteries charge.

Attachments

• sampletemplates.jpg
    sampletemplates.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 559
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dust said:
In terms of the right scale do I need to blow them up until the actual strip fits the cone/ phase plug? they are extremely small as sent.

I have literally 100s of these printed out as i work to get ones that fir just right. On a phase plug you want the template to be of just the size so that it is friction fit and stays where you put it by itself (as my plugs are hand made, variances are such that i'll have a number of slightly different templates. Voice coils aren't as critical, but it is nice to have one that fits pretty good. For phase plugs and the inside of voice coils (ie after the dustcap has been cut out), i like to leave a fairly long "skirt". For dustcaps i like a thin cyclinder.

dave

OK. My printer doesn't want to print the enlarged pdf so failing that I think I can use some of the pictures in the coatings and phase plug thrread as a guide. a bit difficult to determine the correct block size though. How was it worked out originally?

Dust

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dust said:
My printer doesn't want to print the enlarged pdf so failing that I think I can use some of the pictures in the coatings and phase plug thrread as a guide. a bit difficult to determine the correct block size though. How was it worked out originally?

I'll try to make some time to generate some tempates closer to what is needed for 207 and make a pdf.

You'll need to dig into the original EnABL thread for the algorithm to generate a pattern.

dave

PS: it is likely your computer that is choking, not the printer.

I am trying not to be too critical as they are new, but they are a little dissapointing. Mids are good ,quite detailed. Tinkley things are tinkly. theres definately enough treble, but the bass is just not there. Overall they sound like a large transistor radio, albeit a very clear one. Very small sound stage. I'll play em till the weekend and then give them some mod podge and phase plugs.
Picture is from my exact listening positon.

Attachments

• finished curvys 004 (600 x 450).jpg
    finished curvys 004 (600 x 450).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 492
Thanks Kazoo. Cal, Yes the room could use some soft furniture. We have only been using it since Friday when I finished the curvys.
there isn't a horrible slap echo, but its' pretty live. They are sitting on ply boards wrapped in blankets. do you think I could liberate some bass with some outriggers like the cardersounds?

Hi Dust
they look nice, and boy thats quite a big room.
Interesting to hear your initial impression of the sound, but as been said by others, the Fostex do break in, it does take what seems an age. I also think with the hieght of them celings you'll probably loose some of the celing loading that us in more modest rooms get.
Ronc did post the recommended listening distance, toe in angle and seperation distance many moons ago, I think 12' listening, 7.5deg toe in and 8' seperation I think. You have the room to experiment, and as the speakers are designed to focus the sound, some playing with position should change the sound (more noticable when the drivers are broken in). I would be interested in any conclusions you find as I have limited room and only certain positions I can put my CC's in.
Phase plugs are highly recommended, I was shocked at the improvement when I first fitted them to some FE166's many moons ago. They calm the tonal presentation, giving a more relaxing sound, the detail improves as the treble is calmed down, I would say you get a more fuller sound.
Bass, when I initialy sit down to listen to some music, my first impression is of a thin sound. I tend now to put a CD or record on and leave everything to warm up, amps (valve) and drivers. This does help, and I belive has been reported agian on the forums, the Fostex's seem to loosen up when used, the treble calms down, the mid range is more promenent with the calmer treble and the bass flows, it not the hard hitting 3 way megga whatt! bass, but a more musical presentation. As you get use to the speakers your ears adjust (Scottmoose gave me that advice a couple of years ago, let your ears break in, the presentation of what you are listening too has changed, our ears adjust.)
Bass 2, I must admit that if I had the room (which you do) I'd build a pair of Shadows, youve got the best of both worlds, gentile sound during the day and insanity when you want it.
Enjoy
Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.