Greenhorn Curvy Chang Build - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2009, 08:45 PM   #111
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.transcendentsound.com/amp..._impedance.htm
A brief intro to amp output impedence. It is not that simple though, the way the driver works in the cabinet has a influence. Scott has explained it for me in the past I will try and find the link.
Valve amps are basicly current drive whereas solid state are mostly voltage drive, thus for maximum power transfer the valve amps output impedance needs to match the average impedance of the drive unit. That is a very very basic description, when you look into it it gets quite fun.
Looking into changing triode mode is worth it, my EL34's are run in that mode and it is nicer sounding.
Have fun.
PS. B & Q do a nice folding trolley, wich I have found to be very benifical to my back in moving the Changs around.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:16 AM   #112
Dust is offline Dust  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link Marce...should keep me going for some time.
Old 20th May 2009, 03:51 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Hi All. Its been a almost a couple of months since my last post.
Thought I would let my Curvys settle in for a while and play lots of music. I'm sorry to say that I don't really like them. they are OK sometimes with the right music, mainly acoustic stuff, nothing to complicated. female vocals are pretty good, but there is a very shut-in sound to them. they are clear as a bell but thin and very bright with it. With rock music they stuggle bigtime and it becomes unlistenable. I also did they modpodge thing with them and installed phase plugs. Did not hear a difference. Quite disapointing. Took out one side wall of damping hoping to maybe get some more bass, or a least liven things up. Nope. This could of course just be bad system synergy, but I would have thought driven by a tube amp they should really sing. I got so frustrated I bought a little tube buffer stage to try on my Dac (benchmark 1) which does sound a little cold. Waste of money. So, I don't know. So many variables; room, system, cloth ears. I might try making a sub sometime.

Thanks
Dust
Old 20th May 2009, 05:42 PM   #114
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Dust,
Sorry to hear your not happy with the CC's, after all the work it must be a disapointment. I would love to hear them just to compare them with mine, as I love their presentation. Though as I've said the rooms I've listened to them in have been much smaller than yours, which is going to help the bass. If the bass is lacking they will sound thin, I tend not to listen to the first CD I put on, as untill my system warms up it sounds thin, but after that initial period they sound great.
I am still toying with the idea of adding a subwoofer, and would sugest, if you want to continue this on this thread, as it would be an interesting expansion of the design, and we may yet address some of your problems. The Shadows are not a viable option for myself anymore due to space constraints. So in my case it would have to be a reasonably compact design, but one that is going to complement the clarity of the Changs, but not overwhelming them. I've been looking, but advice and idea's greatly welcome.
Keep heart, the beauty of this site is that a problem shared is usually a problem solved.
Marc
Old 21st May 2009, 12:37 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Thanks Marce, I quite like the look of sonotube sub. Pretty cheap and seems easy enough to build. The reckhorn looks interesting too. I don't have pre-out so would require an amp change. been thinking of a Sugden a21a that I heard a long time ago at a hifi show hooked up to totems, arrows I think. You could not pass by the room without the sound sucking you in. At first I thought there must be some hidden speakers somewhere. Very 3d sound and clarity to die for. Absolutely stomped a 30k Naim system down the hall. so I'll take a look at one of those. Be nice if I could find a simply kit with that kind of sound (or Better) as their not exactly cheap. I would love to build a tube amp but wont attempt it at this stage. Next week some buddies and I will bring down my Impulse speakers for comparison with the Curvys. A bit unfair I guess as the Impulse are 3 way, but interesting to hear them in a large room. and by the way if your ever around these parts (East London) you are more than welcome to have a listen. Just pm me.

Dust
Old 24th May 2009, 06:43 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Hey Dust, I dont think your giving your Changs enough time to run in.I built a pair of chilli Changs last year.They sounded pretty Dire for about 4 months,very forward ,harsh etc.honestly most everyone on here will agree you need to realy run these Drivers in.They have by design a very very stiff short throw cone that needs lots and lots of time on them.Trust me on this once run it they are stunning.Being so bloody open though they take no prisoners with the rest of your gear.Best to get a nice 300B amp
if you can with WE 300b's as these are wonderfull,smooth mids
full bass.These are a real high end desighn so as long as you run them in and use smooth amplification you will love these.
And Yes you realy need a sub ,try to get one that will go up to 80hz so as to integrate well.........James
Old 25th May 2009, 07:18 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Thanks James. I won't give up on them just yet...they do LOOK gorgeous!
Old 29th December 2009, 09:29 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Dust, I just wanted to chime in and tell you that your CC's look great, it appears you did a fine job constructing them.

As far as your disappointment in them goes, is it basically that they are bass shy? Or do you you have other issues with them as well?

Have you considered using a different driver in them? Didn't you go with Fostex 206's?

I know first hand that it can be frustrating to put the work into a build and have all that anticipation pent up only to find your creation lacking. My experiments with Lowther DX-3's eventually ended up with me selling them. Also when I bought the Hawthorn Silver Iris' I found them a little lacking in the bottom end, tho the addition of the augies more than fixed that issue.

Rick
Old 30th December 2009, 10:34 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

I read somewhere that these things benefit a lot (in the bass department that is) from being put on 3 spikes. Have you tried that?

Thanks

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!