Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2009, 04:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to weikertball Send a message via MSN to weikertball
Default BIG OB's

Has anybody made open baffle tower speakers in a MMTMM arrangement? Since the Goldwood 18" woofers went on sale at Partsexpress, I thought it would be a good idea to start on a new build. Instead of a tweeter, however, I want to use a 8" ful range OB also. Just want some opinions on how this would work and if anyody has

here's an example:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th January 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's not unknown. Not quite an FR driver, but someone did something similar using Hawthorne Silver Iris coax units & 4 of the helper 15in woofers per channel.

Depends on your XO point -you'll want to keep it fairly low so the polar response remains reasonable, although you're approaching a quasi bass-array with what you're looking at. YMMV of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normal_right_side_room_view_3.jpg (19.7 KB, 700 views)
Old 15th January 2009, 05:17 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

On soome thread here one of the Australian members is doing an WWMTMWW with the Vifa P13.

dave
Old 15th January 2009, 05:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to weikertball Send a message via MSN to weikertball
Cool. That's something I was looking for. The crossovers will be active so I can play with XO points but at first I thought having the Goldwood's play bass and lower mid and the the fullrange go from there.
Old 15th January 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Assuming the 18"s are getting crossed in very low, they should be fine. I'd be more inclined to do a WMTMW with a small fullrange (fostex ff85k) brought in to be a midtweet (500Hz XO or so, 2nd order to maximize power handling and keep midwoofs out of severe breakup) and 2 decent midwoofs like the 15"s here NHT Clearance, run with no high-pass filter, and the 18"s rolled in below them, using a line-level filter and separate amps.
Old 15th January 2009, 08:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The 18" woofers loose much of their efficiency on OB... (around 10db as i understand it) ... does the same hold true for a full range driver like a Fostex 207 or 167?
Old 16th January 2009, 03:42 PM   #7
REC1 is offline REC1  United States
diyAudio Member

Next OB. Using Martins XO. Alpha 15 and Fe87.

ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ob4.pdf (62.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 16th January 2009, 03:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Clever. Ever get the feeling the lads working on Sound Mirrors (one of my major inspirations) back in the 1930s at Denge knew what they were about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dungeness6.jpg (43.0 KB, 482 views)
Old 16th January 2009, 04:31 PM   #9
REC1 is offline REC1  United States
diyAudio Member

I figure why fight it? Just treat the OB as a divider or one of those folding Japanese things and be done with it.
Using a hindge at the panel ends and the whole thing can be kinda,sorta tuned.
A center section around 36" width could be added providing a mounting for the flat screen or whatever as well as a mounting panel for audio components and such.
I ran some rough sims for the rear wave and the angled wall interface allows for a much closer ,to the wall, position.

So it comes down to 1-36x48 and 2-48x48 ply or whatever panels,mount the hindges and cut the holes and tune away(give the tweaking addicts something to do).
So simple even i can do it.

ron

(added note! if you have to move ,uggggg!, just remove the drivers and fold it up. makes for a more mobile society)

(the hardest thing you can do is to make it simple)
Old 16th January 2009, 05:21 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REC1

Next OB. Using Martins XO. Alpha 15 and Fe87.
ron
Hi, I do not think MJK's XO will work well with radically different baffles, /sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!