Zigmahornet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zigmahornet

I am looking for the inside dimension of these cabinets. The plans I got with my merrill drivers are very vague. Done quite a bit of research but everyone seems to have a different way to build them. The issue is if you put the sides in between the front or back or if you put the front or back over the sides. This will change the inside dimension. I am just curious what the original plans call for. If you put the front (baffel) in between the sides( like it looks on the review for 6moons) this would only leave 1/8" on each sides by the time you cut the hole for the driver. If someone has built these as they were intended I would really appreciate a response.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
LilMik is offline LilMik  Germany
diyAudio Member

here you can find a plan with all the dimensions you need to know

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...ornet-plan.gif
Old 14th January 2009, 01:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default zigmahornets

Thanks for the relpy but those are the plans I have. I am looking what the inside dimension is..depth and with.This changes on how you put these cabinets together. I am interested in the correct way these were designed to be put together as described in my previous post.
Old 14th January 2009, 01:58 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: zigmahornets

Quote:
Originally posted by flippinjaz
those are the plans I have. I am looking what the inside dimension is..depth and with.
Those are a legible copy of the original plans...i think there are a lot of better boxes to build, so i didn't put any more effort into them.

If you can subtract the internal dimensions are obvious... ie internal width = 120 - 2x12 = 96mm.

dave
Old 14th January 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

These are nice and sleek. It seems they are designed for the FE103E.

I have a bunch of Dayton RS-100-4's sitting around. Anyone have suggestions on modifications to this design to adapt it to the Daytons?

Cheers,
Mitch
Old 14th January 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: zigmahornets

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Those are a legible copy of the original plans...i think there are a lot of better boxes to build, so i didn't put any more effort into them.

If you can subtract the internal dimensions are obvious... ie internal width = 120 - 2x12 = 96mm.

dave

Thanks Dave,

I understand . I built a couple prototypes of these and the one out of 3/4 hardwood sounded much better than the 1/2 birch ply.
I narrowed up the inside demensions and the bass is quite tunefull instead of just a low tone I got from the original plan. Much clearer, cleaner sound also.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi flippinjaz, can you estimate where the bass rolls off, e.g. with a test tone CD? The vertical dimension corresponds to a ~35Hz QW resonance which obviously seems a bit low for a driver of this size.

I read on Bob Brines' site that when a cab is tuned too low for the driver, you may hit the QW resonance but the price can be a sag above that. It would be interesting to know the Fs, Qts and Vas of this beefy little champ. Aesthetically it's pretty sweet.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:21 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
It would be interesting to know the Fs, Qts and Vas of this beefy little champ.
Fs Re Qms Qes Qts Vas Mms Sd dB Cms BL
89.23 6.83 4.60 1.24 0.98 3.56 3.74 54.11 85.16 8.59E-07 3.40

sample size 4. Min-max deviation ~ 15%

dave
Old 15th January 2009, 03:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, thanks for posting the measurements. Oh dear, it's tuned more than an octave below Fs. So this cab is going to behave roughly like an infinite baffle? It looks like a much smaller box would get better bass. This driver does look like it would be fun to play with, though it would take more watts than I have at the moment.
Old 15th January 2009, 06:42 PM   #10
bainjs is offline bainjs  United States
diyAudio Member

Flippinjaz: What type of hardwood did you use? Were you able to compare to one made with MDF?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!