optimum enclosures for Fostex F120A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dunno about "the" optimum, but here's one that works pretty well

follow the section of this thread re "Fonkensteen"

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1589034#post1589034

This particular pair was built for stand mounting, but with a little reworking they could be configured as floor standers.

Note that the enclosures are a bit more involved than Fostex's "recommended" bass reflex design.

I'm sure you could contact Jim Rebman re his experience driving these with a range of amplifier types.

I heard usual Onken. With the big speakers. Not bad, but not mine. Not fast sound.
Respected team planet10! If you will not complicate, tell more in detail, in what advantage BR with the big area for small speakers.
For small speakers what there are sound distinctions BR with the big area from the usual?

I've had a pair of F120A drivers for over 2 years. Hands down they are the best of the smaller Fostex drivers... and by far the most expensive (Alnico is just costly). While I've not heard the Fonken enclosures recently designed for them (yet), mine are in a 10-liter ported enclosure which is not the same as the supplied Fostex plans. If you're not sure of what to do, I would suggest you try the plans supplied with the drivers as a first start, they won't take long to build and will give you the opportunity to listen to them in a reasonable starting place.

Regards, KM

Thanks, kmaier!

Excuse for the late answer. Now I am in a final stage of manufacturing of a breadboard model of the SE amplifier on PX4 and 15 transformers and chokes), therefore time for another absolutely is not present.
Actually, has got these speakers thanks to your colourful stories) If they will justify trust, I will use as test monitors by working out of new amplifiers.
Basically, I and wished to make, as you speak. At me is 11 litre box. I will temporarily put in them. But in the future it would be desirable to have optimum boxing for these speakers. If they really have the high permission and the balanced sounding.
I think, it will be necessary to look for them TL box. It very well lays down on their characteristic. Opinions of theorists of experts for TL are very interesting.

Hi Vlauga,

I trust you'll be happy with their performance... or my "colorful stories" will seem faded somewhat. I just wish they were another 5-6 dB more sensitive as it would allow lower powered amplifiers to be used with appreciable SPLs. I really like my 45 amplifiers but only 2-watts.

In any case, I also agree that a TL would be a nice effort. It's still on my list but all audio projects are on hold while I'm working in Europe. Once I get back later this year I hope to work on a TL for the F120A. If you manage to get a TL put together for the F120A do post your results.

For anyone still looking to obtain a pair... Madisound is now showing stock again.

Regards, KM

The Fonkensteins came through my hands for a couple of months. The amount of Bass from that box is astounding. Easily capable of mid 30's with clarity and delicacy. Actually, now that I think on it the bass was preposterous and shocked their eventual owner, jrebman, into using them as his main listening set.

The drivers were EnABL'd and so was the box face, but that just cleaned up what was an outstanding speaker and box combo to begin with. Only FR drivers that I hold in higher esteem are the Fostex 200 A 8 inch and the Lowther PM6A 16 ohm. They are both more dynamic and more accurate, but nothing else is really in competition.

However, my home system is a pair of full on FE 127 EnABL'd from Planet 10 in a bamboo wood Fonken box and I cherish them.

Bud

I don't know about the Fostex BR cabinet, but I its finished building a pair of Metronomes for the F120A. You can find my results in The Metronome thread.

The drivers are just passing 300 hrs now, and things are sounding very good to me--but I may be biased. In July I hope to have MJK stop by to hear them. He can then provide a comparison between his OB using the F120A and the Metronome. (He also has a pair of JX92S on OB.)

Cheers, Jim

F120's in Metronome Enclosure

Jim,

That's pretty cool, I like those metronomes myself. When I was in England I had a chance to listen to Steve Cresswoods Met's and I was quite impressed with the imaging, sound stage and how they disappeared. Once MJK hear's your Met's, hopefully one of you will post your thoughts.

Actually, I just purchased the F120's to be able to build MJK's OB's with the Goldwood woofer once I move out of this apartment. So my thoughts were to build the BR enclosure because of the smaller foot print and low cost, plus I'll be breaking in the F120a's.

Bernard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.