No-Holds-Barred Lowther design? - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2009, 11:11 AM   #141
UKPD is offline UKPD  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Field coil experiment.

Seems there is some interest in the idea. I'm going to modify a cheap and chearfull driver to field coil over Christmas.

Cheers,
Peter.
Old 23rd December 2009, 07:48 PM   #142
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter,

If you have access to poly butedene coated magnet wire, soluable in alcohol, use that. The coil will hold it's shape without support and vibration noises will cease. The two I have made both ran into sonic differences dependent upon flux gauss, so you should have a way to alter this factor. Otherwise the sound was surprisingly good. However, for one of the experiments, Romy the Cat of all people, we could not settle on a flux density that was a suitable balance of characteristics, so, somewhat frustrating.

Bud
Old 27th December 2009, 09:58 PM   #143
UKPD is offline UKPD  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Bud,

Sorry for the delay, just normal Christmas chaos. What were ballpark figures for your coils in terms of resistance/inductance? I've got the driver prepared for winding, luckily it's got vented pole piece so it will be easy in a drill.
Unfortunately dont have poly-butadiene coated wire to hand, so enamel has to be.

Peter.
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:28 PM   #144
Jamhorn is offline Jamhorn  Europe
diyAudio Member

any news on this ?

Does ronmeister has build it's no hold barred lowther design ?

what about the other projects mentionned ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:41 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Thanks for asking, the Shokokuji "towers" with PMA4's were built in 2010 out of a combination of 3/4" and 1" baltic birch plywood and "Sumava" Granite. They're easy to build, the finish took more time than the build itself. Their size in combination with large flat surfaces contribute to that difficulty.

I haven't heard them for more than 2 years, but I will not forget the first time I heard them come alive, all amplifiers I have, both CD players, DACs and my entire CD collection (well a good size sample) were utilized until a sad parting of our ways... they're now in Denmark...

If you're looking for a design for the PMA4's I'd advise contacting Planet10, in this particular "genre" of loudspeaker, with its unique set of compromises, I've yet to hear anything that approaches this one.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:27 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply.

I guess the design you built is similar to the blenheim from woden design : Woden Design | Blenheim

It's nice the project was a success as you were the first one to build it and weren't able to count on the feedback of other users.

Congratulations to you and planet10 for the design !

I have a lowther (EX3) in mauhorn V enclosure that I like a lot. I'm tempted by building this kind of design but would it be a real improvement sound wise ?

I mainly listen to classical and rock music. I like to listen to symphonic pieces and sometimes the lowther is a little bit "light" for this.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:43 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

Default front horn

to stay on the topic of no-holds barred lowther design, what do you think of this kind of system :

A front horn Le cleach expansion 95cm diameter and for the bass it's a double 15inch eminence beta on a kind of H-Frame enclosure. The horn is currently loaded with a fostex 206.

Click the image to open in full size.

Unfortunately I have never listen to such system. Apparently the front horn gives more "body" to the music...and the 4 beta 15 give you more than enough bass.

but those beast are huge...and the system is a bit complicated (active crossover, 2 amplifiers)
Old 4th December 2012, 03:04 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamhorn View Post
thanks for the reply.

I guess the design you built is similar to the blenheim from woden design : Woden Design | Blenheim

It's nice the project was a success as you were the first one to build it and weren't able to count on the feedback of other users.

I have a lowther (EX3) in mauhorn V enclosure that I like a lot. I'm tempted by building this kind of design but would it be a real improvement sound wise ?

I mainly listen to classical and rock music. I like to listen to symphonic pieces and sometimes the lowther is a little bit "light" for this.
Jamhorn,
I don't have the details of the design with me, here, but yes, the design looks very similar. I've not kept up with this forum so it may very well be the same. I did build them without feedback from this forum, and that's how I wanted it. There are a handful of people here who know what they're doing, who I "pm" with, and a truckload, truckloads actually, of people who echo opinions, based on what they googled...

I referred to the fact that each loudspeaker design has its own unique set of compromises. In my opinion these loudspeakers are not very well suited to symphonic pieces. They will do classical and rock music fairly well, but not at high volume levels.

If I were looking for an intimate, close quarters, uncomplicated emotive musical experience I would consider these loudspeakers.

Quote:
to stay on the topic of no-holds barred lowther design, what do you think of this kind of system :

A front horn Le cleach expansion 95cm diameter and for the bass it's a double 15inch eminence beta on a kind of H-Frame enclosure. The horn is currently loaded with a fostex 206.

Click the image to open in full size.

Unfortunately I have never listen to such system. Apparently the front horn gives more "body" to the music...and the 4 beta 15 give you more than enough bass.

but those beast are huge...and the system is a bit complicated (active crossover, 2 amplifiers)
I experimented quite a lot with the PMA4's and found that as soon as I considered a multi-way, multi-amped design I quickly found myself looking at other drivers, not full range, more suited, less distortion and so on. I've had similar experiences with other "full range" drivers with only very few exceptions.

One design I unfortunately never had a chance to experiment with due to manufacturing difficulties, was the front and back horn combination. All that said, if Symphony music is what you enjoy most, and you'd like an experience that approaches a live experience (studio / theater / opera house or otherwise) I'd choose another kind of design, with another set of compromises... there are always compromises...
Old 8th December 2012, 06:58 PM   #149
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
Jon Ver Halen can also comment on EnABL'd Lowthers. I would caution anyone contemplating this process to be aware of just how explosive the dynamics become. We are speaking of horn loaded compression driver levels of response when the DX4 is treated. The PM6A silver VC 16 ohm is by far my favorite of the 4 that I have personally treated. I understand that a few folks have done Lowthers on their own, but have never heard a peep from any of them. Would like to.

I have attached my own take on the ultimate Lowther speaker. Pm6A nude crossed to an Eminnence Delta 8 and a cardioid loaded U baffle and two Tang Band woofers also in Cardioid. Cross over will be from a reworked Berringer DCX 2496 with op amps replaced with 24 step isolation style transformer attenuators, for level matching out to a triamp set up. Another stepped attenuator for the master volume control.

We will see how this works out by misd summer, work on the DCX begins after Christmas, along with the relatively simple cabinetry work. The drivers are all EnABL'd, of course.

I have to tell you, a nude Lowther is the lovliest sounding, most breathtakingly lifelike speaker I have encountered.

Bud
Hi Bud

Any more news of this build? How did it go? Was it as good as expected? Furthermore, how do the enAbled AN Super 15 drivers compare to the Lowther PM6A? Just curious.

Thanks,
Deon
Old 8th December 2012, 08:39 PM   #150
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Planet 10 is only responsible for taking the designs from the designer (Scott Lindgren aka scottmoose) and make them into (i hope) readable & comprehensive plan drawings.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!