New BIBs and a tube amp Q?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2009, 04:13 AM   #1
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default New BIBs and a tube amp Q??

I "finished" my first set of BIBs tonight. Well, finished enough to listen to them. I must say, I'm impressed. Even my wife was impressed. I used an old set of MCM 55-1870 5" aluminum drivers I've had for a few years. They needed a little on the higher freq side, so I added some Zenith horn tweeters I salvaged from an old console. I need to finish making them "airtight" and mount a bottom plate on them. After that, it's just cosmetics. I'm running them off an old RS STA-100 for now.
http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/t...php?album=2584
Thanks Zilla for your BIB calculator.

A question about an old Packard Bell tube amp: it has a transformer for each channel that the original speakers were connected to. If I don't use the speakers that were originally with the amp, do I need to run the newer speakers (my new BIBs) from the transformers?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 9th January 2009, 07:12 AM   #2
tentoes is offline tentoes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I don't use the speakers that were originally with the amp, do I need to run the newer speakers (my new BIBs) from the transformers?
You must connect the speakers to the output transformers on the tube amp. I gather this is an old console tube amp. Do you know the impedance of the old speakers?

It may not be wise to connect speakers with a lower impedance. Some output transformers do have taps for 4, 8 and 16 ohm speakers.

Good luck and use caution. Those old tube amps have 300-400V inside them and they can bite!

TT
Old 10th January 2009, 03:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Neat! Maybe put the tweeters on the rear... works for me!

http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-165k-bib.htm

Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!