Saburo question for Scottmoose and Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I move into my second 100 hour phase of my Planet 10 FE126En Saburo's I have begun to bring friends and family in to be amazed by them. And amazed they are. However, one negative continues to come up.......the size. Now, I think the six foot tall cabinets are very elegant, and I do not have a wife to comment, but everyone else's concerns have got me thinking.

What about designing the two horn paths side by side? It would involve some redesign of the CC. The huge soundstage might be reduced some what. Less cabinet material would be used in the side and middle pieces (three 3ft pieces instead of two 6ft pieces).

The cabinet would then be slightly taller than 3ft and be approx one ft. wide (more of a traditional cabinet dimension). Would the sound be affected by the wider baffle? Would the double mouth opening at the bottom of the cabinet cause a problem?

Could this be the beginning of a "Sumo Saburo"?

It would need a complete redesign -it's not just a case of folding them in half I'm afraid. Everything was optimised to the double-mouth configuration, so we'd basically be looking at an entirely new enclosure, from scratch.

TBH, if a DIY single horn for the 126 is needed there are several excellent examples already available, so I'd generally point you in the direction of the Frugel-Horn (if corners are available) or Ron's A126 if they are not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.