diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/135770-anyone-use-thier-frs-heavy-metal.html)

JayH3 2nd January 2009 01:35 AM

Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

Ill start off by saying that I have never heard a set of quality full range speakers. I am, however, very intrigued by the minimulistic approach. I am considering trying out a set of Audio Nirvana Cast Frame 8's. I would probably supplement them with a set of tweeters. Those would be powered by my ST70. I would then add powered subwoofers to pick up the bass.

I am sure that they sound great simple music, but I listen to a wide range of music that includes metal. Are the dynamics of the speaker going to fall apart when there are several tracks of distorted guitar, bass, double bass drums and crashing cymbals, and screaming vocals?

I just want to make sure these are versatile speakers before I include them in a project.

Thanks for any comments.

serenechaos 2nd January 2009 01:42 AM

Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

Quote:

Originally posted by JayH3
Are the dynamics of the speaker going to fall apart when there are several tracks of distorted guitar, bass, double bass drums and crashing cymbals, and screaming vocals?

yes

but many use them anyway...

JayH3 2nd January 2009 01:50 AM

Re: Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

Quote:

Originally posted by serenechaos

yes

but many use them anyway...

hmm...

So would you advise against them?

rjbond3rd 2nd January 2009 02:40 AM

Howdy, amigos.

True, run completely fullrange by themselves, the fullrangers will fall apart playing complex stuff at greater and greater volumes, e.g., Overture of 1812. But bring in a sub, and they can start to rock out. As you raise the cutoff frequency, e.g. to 200Hz or higher, they rock out in proportion to the cutoff.

P.S. Robert, I noticed in Stereophile's (or TAS) RMAF report that a very expensive tower speaker was using the Fostex FX120 as a midrange -- by any chance, did you happen to see/hear that when you were there?

serenechaos 2nd January 2009 03:01 AM

which tower speaker?
probably, but there were lots of 'em...

rjbond3rd 2nd January 2009 03:22 AM

Hi Robert, just found it, Feb 2009 "The Absolute Sound," bottom of p. 24 (picture is on p. 25) -- Room 551 $15k Von Schweikert Unifield 3, "a floorstander in two pieces with a Fostex midrange... open, neutral, lively and very dynamic."

(Sorry for being slightly OT but it hopefully relates to scaling a fullranger down to a midranger to get more dynamics.)

serenechaos 2nd January 2009 03:53 AM

Oh yeah, I heard them.
Remember them very well.
Beautiful veneer.
Mega-buck front-end, amps, cabling, etc.
Loud, yes, dynamic, no.
dipolar sounding, echoy, bouncy, if you call that open, lively.
Couldn't tell what was playing; someone else in the room said it was a new invention that made new instruments out of whatever was put into it. Changed clarinets into oboes, etc.
The room was near empty, people came in & left quickly,
I didn't get it, no one else I talked to did, YMMV.

rjbond3rd 2nd January 2009 04:17 AM

You just saved me $15k! :)

bassrogue 2nd January 2009 04:56 AM

I've been known to listen to Black Sabbath on my Fostex 165's (plus tweeter) Sounds good as long as the volume isnt too high.
The Eminence Beta 12LTA is almost a full range driver. You can rock the house with those.:devilr:

analog_sa 2nd January 2009 06:10 AM

Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

Quote:

Originally posted by JayH3
Those would be powered by my ST70

The speakers will only be a part of your problems with heavy metal :)