Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2009, 05:56 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos

I don't know how to put "FR" and "horn load" in the same sentence.
Horn loading is narrow band by nature, doesn't want to go full range.
I've built a few back loaded horns, one that had blended into the TL nicely, so the back wave FR went flat to 40 Hz.

Doesn't that therefore fall into the definition of FR, accepting the compromises in power-handling inherent in all such units when compared to, say, large 15in HE woofers etc? Yes, they can all be considered wide BW midranges, or large tweeters if you prefer, but surely the basic definition of a driver that covers the majority of the audible BW is acceptable enough?

I'm a little unsure about why you're having such a problem using the horn loading & FR terms together, unless, or course, you're stipulating that the entire operating BW of the chosen driver has to be horn loaded before you can use the term FR?

Quote:
Seems easier, and more effective, to just build a FLH system designed as such.
And you end up with a far more efficient system.
Must be nice to have that kind of room / budget. I'm not certain (forgive me) it'd be 'easier' for most people either, as multi-way front-horns, for all their positives, also have their own set of issues too.

Quote:
Originally posted by HK26147
As in:
Perhaps Syd was under the mistaken impression that a small driver run full range with a horn load on the back of the driver was considered FR.
It can be, as justifiably as anything else with 'FR' drivers. Nobody said a horn has to operate over the entire audible BW. A BLH is used, for e.g., like it's BR cousins, to boost output below the driver's mass-corner. That doesn't mean it's not a horn variation.
Old 2nd January 2009, 06:09 PM   #22
fredex is offline fredex  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Of course all FRers are not equal and xmax will soon be reached on an OB with bass eq. It all depends on how much vol you need to get your metal rocks off.
Sometimes it is the sound of a speaker near its limits that enhances certain types of music. If you have had good times at parties listening to a track on a small system cranked to the max, then a clean sound will leave you un-moved.
Another approach is to use a smaller amp which starts to compress before your speakers self destruct, tubes are very good for this.
Old 2nd January 2009, 07:22 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Well, valve amps with small / rubbish output transformers at any rate.
Old 2nd January 2009, 07:50 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Yes I' ve had some good times with a small SE using half wave rectification, a commercial product no less. A mate said he'd never heard an electric guitar sound so good.
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:26 PM   #25
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
listening to a track on a small system cranked to the max, then a clean sound will leave you un-moved.
Last fall's set up for a wedding reception:
2 JBL 2206 drivers in a Neo-MTM cab with a JBL 2380A Bi-Radial Horn and 2"2446H drivers, and 2 2242H 18" sub woofers.
Powered by Crown Macro 2400 amps - close to 4kw of power.
Set up appropriately outdoors; The sound was as clean as the source material, with very large overhead ( crest factor ).
Even hours after the event listeners wanting to play favorite tracks just to hear what they sound like "large", and the system coasted without any audible effects of thermal compression.
Philosophically, I really don't want to have my sound system adding any color/distortion.
And I don't think FR is the best option for HM
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

HK26147
Yes your system is a bit different to a single
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:16 PM   #27
Theli is offline Theli  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

Quote:
Originally posted by JayH3
Ill start off by saying that I have never heard a set of quality full range speakers. I am, however, very intrigued by the minimulistic approach. I am considering trying out a set of Audio Nirvana Cast Frame 8's. I would probably supplement them with a set of tweeters. Those would be powered by my ST70. I would then add powered subwoofers to pick up the bass.

I am sure that they sound great simple music, but I listen to a wide range of music that includes metal. Are the dynamics of the speaker going to fall apart when there are several tracks of distorted guitar, bass, double bass drums and crashing cymbals, and screaming vocals?

I just want to make sure these are versatile speakers before I include them in a project.

Thanks for any comments.
I have a pair of Aura NS3 (4.5ltr, ported ~65hz, with some PC EQ) running off an 41hz Amp6-basic for computer speakers. They sound great for background/new music listening. But I found that metal still sounds better on a large system even on low volumes.

I also tried a pair of CSS FR125S in 9ltr ported, but it just did not cut it. Once I added a sub, it improved the sound greatly. As mentioned above there is a lot of low frequency in most metal, even in cold, grim black metal
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:17 PM   #28
fwater is offline fwater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HK26147

And I don't think FR is the best option for HM
The more I think about it, the more I agree that the average FR isn't the best format for high-demand music. I suppose I felt that relating my experience would be helpful, but I should have added that FR is a long row to hoe if you're playing loud & low. I'll go back to my statement about my garage sale 10" wideband two-ways, large format works better for rock. Maybe a very simple three-way (doesn't have to be ruler flat for metal), or even the venerable DIII (I've done two and they excell at being loud).
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:05 AM   #29
JayH3 is offline JayH3  United States
diyAudio Member

Alot of useful replies here.

So as much as I wanted to experiment with some FR speakers, it looks like they wont be versatile enough for me.

That was interesting to read about the dopplar effect on the hf. I hadnt really thought of that before. That must be a big part of the reason alot of the FR speakers have xmax of 1.0 mm or less.
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:33 AM   #30
Banned

I was brought up on a diet of doppler distortion and multi-way speakers.

Given all that I had read, when I heard decent FRs I was astonished that a single speaker could sound so good. They're easy to drive, there are no crossover problems, you get a lot of volume for your watts, and imaging is good. I wouldn't be looking at a tweeter, the treble is a bit forward if anything, and tweeters would complicate the imaging. I'd swap mine for a pair of Linkwitz's Plutos, if there was anywhere to put them (not that these monkey coffins are small), but they're the only other speakers I see out there that really excite much desire.

I think FRs can represent good value for money, maybe even the best, when considered in the context of a (comparatively) lo-cost system as a whole.

Regardless of what kind of music you listen to.

Try to get to hear a pair before you make up your mind.

w

Hide this!Advertise here!