New Here - New project: TL or Bass Reflex?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I upgraded the TV in the family for Christmas and I want to make a couple of box speakers to replace the dismal audio included with the 37 LCD panel. I was thinking of using a a pair of the TB W4-1320's I bought a while back and run them full range. I worked out a small (6"W x 11"D x 13.5"H) 7.8 liter BR box that can be tuned to 77Hz (speaker resonance) or run a folded constant cross section 50" TL. Never done a TL before...

Any advice?

I can also use the Dayton Reference 125 8Ohm with a tweeter in the same box...

This is not my main theater or audio system - so this could be a learning exercise and a good way to wear out some router bits etching the MDF!

yes, amazing what rubbish is used for loudspeakers even in the big widescreen TV's... I also hooked up my new 32" to my normal stereo

given that you have some height, I would suggest a TL. something similar as the desktop TL I designed for the Markaudio Alpair 5 (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134808)

the W4-1320 does not need a tweeter, provided that you don't listen too much off axis

on the TL: I suggest a strongly tapered line, S0=8*Sd SL=¾*Sd, L=34" (this gives a ~60Hz tune), put the driver at a similar position as in my Alpair5 design, but a fair amount of wool (or polyester) in the closed end, and a minute aount in the open end (adjust the bass response to your own taste).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.