Help needed on fullrange fostex with McIntosh mc 240.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I need some help with full range speaker design and plans, hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

I would like to use fostex drivers, I haven't got a clue on what size drivers or cabinet design would best suit my present system or room (Pre amp Mcintosh c28 / Power amp Mcintosh Mc 240). Room size 8m L x 3.5 m Wx 2.7m H the speaker placement is on the 8m wall toed in , room construction is double brick on concrete slab with carpet, .Given the room size the maximum speaker size would be. 700mm H x 250m W X 230mm D approx.

Any suggestions would be appreciatted.

Thanks Paul aka Audio Luddite.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Well, the 240 has a low enough output impedance to use medium Qt drivers and enough power that high efficiency isn't a prerequisite, so several choices, though ideally either a relatively 'bright' sounding HF or separate super tweeter is required to offset the MC's slightly 'dark' sound (assuming it hasn't been altered much over the decades).

The room's dims combined with its high aspect ratio plus small speaker dims, usable bass is going to be hard to come by without a sub system. Indeed, once you subtract the material thickness there's not enough room left for the larger 'FR' Fostex drivers, so rearranging them a bit you get something like this or this for a bit more inner detail at the expense of a higher F3.

Anyway, just something to get the 'ball rolling'.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Happy New Year and all that jive! :cheers:

No need, when I saw the update I came to this thread and was pretty ticked off at myself for forgetting to actually post what I'd written, but in browsing noticed the other thread. Anyway, great minds think alike, right? ;)

That said, apparently I forgot to confirm my links as they were both the same..... :(

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.