Here is my FR/WR125 sys...looking for tweaks now

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quite a while back I bought 2 FR125's and 6 Wr's to build a speaker system to do dual duty as a surround system as well as my audio
system. I also renovated my living room with this in mind prior to starting the speakers.

So I build a dipole system for the front channels with the FR's on the front and the Wr's on the backs. I tracked down a pair of 30 year old Tandy Linaeum tweeters new and still sealed in their boxes and have them xovered at 13K using a couple of M-Cap Supremes
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I built the speaker boxes out of scrap following my instincts rather any particular design. The rear and front panels of the box are filled with sand and the box is braced to the point of stupidity.

My surrounds

I'm running this all with a Panasonic XR-50 digital amp and I'm feeding it with a digital stream of FLAC/APE/WAVE files from my computer.

My sub uses a Wharfedale W30 12" drive mounted facing into a sealed 1.3 cubic ft box so that the cone/magnet assembly rises out of the top s that it radiates 360 degrees. It is powered by my 30 year old modded AMU -55 Akai amp and the combo works exceptionally well. It is very very subtle and very very powerful. I'm going to build another one and run run one per channel.... it should be frightening :)

Whole system cost well under a $1000 including amp and it is simply stunning in most regards. It is responsible for me becoming fascinated with recordings of the human voice. I'm listening to Kenny Rankin as I type.... amazing.

I am going to enabl it now and was looking for any pointers on cone treatments and such. I've spent a few hours searching and came up with lots of references to modded css125's but little real info. I have dloaded the pdf's of the enabl pattern for the 125's and read some messages on C37 but have come up with little more and nothing that gives a comprehensive look at modding this speaker.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

:) I think you know I did lol, I've made the same mistake on here before and you caught it. I'm not used to talking to anyone about audio. On the rare occasions I do attempt to such convo's I make many common slips.

Yep, they are wired bipolar.

I am really truly blown away by how good the mains sound. While they miss the mark on the spooky magic element that we are always looking for they are very very listenable. They image so well that I have spent 5+hours stints only opening my eyes to pick new tracks. Really hard to equate the money spent to the end result.

Once I have tweaked them and spent some more time with them I'm going to build some based on Fostex drivers. Semi unemployed at the moment though so holding back.

Hi binarywhisper, I love your triangular rear speakers tucked up into the corners.

I have the same Linnaeum tweakers. Do you like them as oriented in the photo? The figure-8 radiation pattern would be going to the sides, rather than the "normal" orientation radiating front + back. I've not tried that and will give it a spin. At 13k it's just for sparkle and maybe off to the sides is a good idea.

I have tried them every which way for extended periods. The difference in placement is much more subtle then one would expect and which is better seems to vary depends on the recording I'm listening to. I generally pull the speakers out 4 ft. from any wall when I'm listening to them in any serious way and that may have a large part to do with the subtlety of the change .

The two membrane each radiates about 300 degrees forming a figure 8. The way I have them oriented one end of the figure 8 is hitting the listener and the other end is radiating towards the back wall.

The boxes had a folded up piece of paper that showed that the figure 8 pattern radiated in the way I just described as well but showed them being used sideways so that the listener was hit directly with both waveforms ( the center of the 8 ) from each tweeter simultaneously... ie, the way you have yours setup.

I'd be interested to hear your feed back once you've played with them. Are there pix of your speakers avail? What are you xovered at? What do you think of these tweeters?

Hi binarywhisper, I have crossed them over at 8k, 10k 12k and 16k (just a simple cap).

I love the shimmery dipole effect -- it definitely adds excitement. On a new build, I start out without them, and my ears adjust to not miss them, but eventually I always add them back in again.

I keep going back and forth between wanting the "raw" drivers sans any early reflections vs. the exciting shimmery sparkle. As tweeters go, I think they are the most beautiful I have ever had (and I'm guessing you feel the same way!)

yeah I like them a lot as well. They are exceptional at adding that live feeling.

I had them x'd at 16k and may go back to that. I'm running the FR untethered at the top end and rolling them into the woofers at 140 on the bottom.

Back in the early 80's I worked at Radio Shack and had heard them. The only other thing I had encountered that delicate was the top end of a pair of Janzen electrostatics in a Stereo People store I worked at. It took a while to find a pair but everything comes to ebay for those that wait. :D

there is a guy that has a pair for sale on Ebay right now actually. He is asking quite a bit but they look nice
http://electronics.shop.ebay.ca/items/?_nkw=Linaeum&_sacat=293&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270&_odkw=Linnaeum&_osacat=293

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Be very cautious using puzzlekoat -- always hold the driver such that gravity will cause any excess to flow away from the phase plug... it is no fun trying to unglue the voice coil from the phase plug.

EnABL-FR125SR.jpg

dave

I know that I suggested I was going to build a Fostex based system after playing with these a bit more but it dawned on me that I never did get around to aperiodic boxes as originally planned as per your suggestions Dave.

In my searching it seems to me that the excitement over the 125's has died since I was last here. Is it still deemed worth the trouble? Do you offer a flat pak or finished aperiodic boxes for the 125's.

I guess I should enable them first and then listen for a while before pestering you with questions but if I used logic I'd confuse everyone else on the internet :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
binarywhisper said:
In my searching it seems to me that the excitement over the 125's has died since I was last here. Is it still deemed worth the trouble? Do you offer a flat pak or finished aperiodic boxes for the 125's.

FR125 is still a competent driver, but indeed excitement has seemed to die away. Part of that could be that others offer a range so that one can stay in the family and choose a driver suitable to their needs.

The lower efficiency, and that it tends to have an edge with more pedestrian amplifiers (SS Class AB) also gives other drivers an edge since diyers tend to build more exotic amps.

Here the EnABled FR125 never seems to have taken off, it it is really good.

dave

PS" no demand for the small flat-pak so we've not done any.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.