RS 40-1354A Exciting Find! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2008, 12:46 AM   #1
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Talking RS 40-1354A Exciting Find!

I picked up an MCS set-up at a garage sale several months ago. I got a 3835 amp, 3701 Tuner, 6502 TT, a nice cabinet it was originally purchased in, and two 3 way speakers which didn't have the original drivers. I got this all for $10. I checked out the tuner and amp, and then set everything aside while I payed attention to some of my other projects.

Tonight I decided to look at the speakers. The woofers were replaced by Zenith 49-1261-02 drivers )info stamped on the speaker: 8 ohm, A ONK, 8175). I searched but couldn't find anything on them. Anyone have any info on these?

What I got pretty pumped about was the mid replacements. Radio Shack 40-1354A's. I searched these and they seem to be somewhat well-regarded, especially for what I paid.

Now I need to decide what to do with the 1354's. I've read about Dammar, felt on the spokes, and plumber's putty. Any suggestions?

Are these comparable/interchangable with any Fostex or any other FR drivers? After the holidays, I was planning on building the Golden Ratio Fonkens with an FE127. Can these be put in the Fonkens?
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:30 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: RS 40-1354A Exciting Find!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikje
by Zenith 49-1261-02 drivers )info stamped on the speaker: 8 ohm, A ONK, 8175
Those are a score... A really nice extended range mid-bass OEMed by Onkyo (you may see them called Foster too, but that is a misunderstanding). They did come in a number of variations. I probably have measures (not on this computer) and may even have a single. Add a tweeter at ~$5 k or a bit higher and away you go.

Can you post a pic?

Quote:
Radio Shack 40-1354A's. I searched these and they seem to be somewhat well-regarded, especially for what I paid.

Now I need to decide what to do with the 1354's. I've read about Dammar, felt on the spokes, and plumber's putty. Any suggestions?

Are these comparable/interchangable with any Fostex or any other FR drivers? After the holidays, I was planning on building the Golden Ratio Fonkens with an FE127. Can these be put in the Fonkens?
In their day these were a staple of the FR Forum. Generally recommended box is Bob Brines ML-V floorstander or Hawaii stand-mount. There are lots of other boxes thou. I've not explored how close these are to FE127, but it will likely get considered when i figure out for Cal what boxes we are putting his in (temporally in small aperiodic boxes). I wouldn'd damar them, i've seen mixed reports. Puzzlecoat, EnABL & Phase plugs do work.

What was the tweeter?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foster1261.jpg (35.4 KB, 253 views)
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:44 AM   #3
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave,
I've searched for Bob Brines to find boxes for the 1354's. So far I've found the Voight Pipes. Do you know if there are others? I've read good things about Bob and his know-how. Do you have a link to ML-V floorstanders or the Hawaii stand-mounts?

I've also read great things about the EnABL process. What would be involved in getting the Zenith and the 1354's done?

Thanks for all your input on this subject. Your site is very helpful and I'm looking forward to hearing the FE127 Fonkens when I get them completed.

Pictures will be up as soon as I can get them off my phone and into my camera.

Thanks Again.
Mike
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:53 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Do you have a link to ML-V floorstanders or the Hawaii stand-mounts?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...67#post1683667

Mail me directly about driver mods.

dave
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Pics of my find.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:22 AM   #6
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Pics of my find.
http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/t...php?album=2567
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:24 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd class the Zeniths as 8".

dave
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:06 AM   #8
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

The MCS tuner is almost certainly OEM by NEC. I have the 3800 in black and love it. There's no beating that mid-Seventies Playboy Advisor styling. My recollection is the main difference between the 3700 and 3800 is the latter has an output buffer.
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I've also read great things about the EnABL process. What would be involved in getting the Zenith and the 1354's done?
As Dave mentioned these need a new box but here's what he did for the drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_8959.jpg (36.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 23rd December 2008, 06:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It warms my heart to see pics of the RS 1354s posted... i still have two new in their boxes sitting in my basement. I used to have maybe 20 pair of RS pod super tweeters but sold them all except for two pair. One in boxes and another pair on the back of my BIBs. I see them going for very hi prices now and wish i kept them. I think i made about $2 profit per tweeter when i sold them LOL. The Zenith do look interesting. I'd like a pair to play with and listen to, too. Also, IMO the Fostex 127e is better in every way than the 1354 in an appropriate box. But you can drop a 1354 in a much simpler and smaller box and get great sound too.

Hide this!Advertise here!