Saburo's Vs. DTB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, Gents and Ladies,

I've been reading this project report with very great interest, and I'm inspired to try it myself.

I have a couple of questions, if I may.

Do you have a rough idea of how many hours you've got into the project, Dave?

Also, I have a pair of DCA Merrill type 4" drivers acquired for a planned Sigmahornet project. Will that driver work in this horn, in the event that the Siggies don't sound as satisfying as the glowing 6Moons review found them?

Thank you.

Brenton

Wha' DIYa know? said:

I have a couple of questions, if I may.

Do you have a rough idea of how many hours you've got into the project, Dave?

Yes, 11 days SOLID over the Christmas holidays Brenton. Starting about 8.30-9.00AM finishing between 5.00-9.00PM ish.... I'm a very slow and methoducal worker when it comes to wood. I'm not a chippy by trade. I'm sure a pro would do it in a day with a table saw and enough clamps!

:)

Dunno about your drivers, maybe one of the tech-bods could answer that one.

They are amazing loudspeakers.

DTB

Thanks to both of you Daves for your answers.

Well, I think I better just tuck in for a lengthy project that promises to reward my efforts at the end. I'll build my Sigmahornets for the practice, since I haven't done any wood-gluing since, ohhh, jr high school.

You did a great job on those speakers, Dave. I've been forwarding the link to my friends.

I'll resign myself to getting the recommended drivers. I'm sure they are only a fraction of the overall cost -- expecially when figgering in the time one must invest.

Again, my thanks.

Brenton

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wha' DIYa know? said:
I'll resign myself to getting the recommended drivers. I'm sure they are only a fraction of the overall cost -- expecially when figgering in the time one must invest

About $100 USD for stock drivers, a bit over 2x that for full zoot (but less postage). A Suitable quantity of good ply will likely cost the same or more as the full-on drivers. Depending on how you finish them it could add $20 or more than all the rest put together.

Then your labour.

dave

Hi Dave,

So looking at doing a good job of it, we're talking 400 to 500 for a set of speakers that really would seem to deliver results that are, well, probably unattainable from a commercially made speaker for anything close to that price.

Instead of coming back to this later in the spring or summer when I hope to get to this, why don't I ask now what driver you have in mind recommending, and where I might obtain them?

Thanks,

Brenton

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wha' DIYa know? said:
Instead of coming back to this later in the spring or summer when I hope to get to this, why don't I ask now what driver you have in mind recommending, and where I might obtain them?

This strays into self-promotion...

It deserves the FE126eN that i make (out of plain old FE126). Contact me off forum for more.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/FE12xeN.html

FE126eN-001-300.jpg

I'll take the liberty of posting a comment by the latest person to receive these drivers (he has been living with stock drivers for years)

Rec'd the"full-monty" 126's last week, Thanks!
They are wildly better than I thought possible. It took only a few bars of music to realize they are a completely different and far superior driver than the stock version. By the same token, I didn't realize how rough and fatiguing the untreated units are. I'd previously thought my CC volume wasn't dialed in.
The bass is much more realistic, cleaner, and seemingly fuller across the band. With percussion as crisp and clear as can be, from the crack of the snare, to the beat of the tom-toms.
That this treatment does so much is amazing. Those little "morse-code" dots and dashes really do unlock the potential of these drivers.
To call it a "tweek" is damn it with faint praise.
(I REALLY like the effect!)

dave

DTB.......Please have your camera set on automatic when you put the Planet10 126's in your Saburo's......we need to see the results. You will be shocked!!!!! I have stock FE103's in Fostex plan BLH, EnABLED FE166E's in Madisound BK16's, EnABLED FE164's in Half Chilli Changs, and the EnABLE'd Saburo's blow them all away.

Geez, I wish you lot would shut up about these Saburo things. I had successfully convinced myself and the wife that they were bigger than we needed and that the Mikasa would fit just fine. All should be go for the new table saw and the "Speakers as Therapy" program... but no, you have to keep banging on about how great the Sabs are. Please someone - anyone find something negative to say about them (and the rest of you lot keep quiet so as not to ruin the effect).

Charles.
(Spoilt for choice :D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.