Saburo's Vs. DTB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been ill for a few days this week then every evening since has been filled with clearing out the kitchen to make way for the fitter-blokey to do his magic for the next 2-3 weeks, major upheaval is expected.

Latest news is that the Sab's now have 3 coats of lovely Danish Oil which brings out the grain beautifully in 'em. Problee another 2 and they'll be ready for the burning-in and fettling procedure.

CIMG9492.jpg

DTB

Aad said:
Hey Dave are the Saburo's burned in? Can't wait for the final verdict and pics.

Best, Aad

I'll give y'all an update in a little while Aad. We've had our entire kitchen gutted and refitted which has taken up soooo much of my time.

...though I've got loads of lovely chipboard and rubbish to make some new speaker projects out of as a result of the aforementioned refit...
CIMG9691.jpg

Just kidding!

Stayed tuned, back soon.

DTB

Update time.

Cast your minds back, Just as I was getting near the end I had to go back to work and almost instantly we had the kitchen totally rebuilt, very messy and expensive not to mention a tad stressful and arduous clearing out 20 odd years worth of building up a nice family kitchen but it was very tired and needing sorting, we'd put it off for years ... not a good time to be finishing a pair of FR cabinets.

So anyway, over the 3 weeks during the kitchen rebuild they sat there at home being tickled occasionally with music. They sounded poor TBH. They had a weird honk in the upper bass/lower mid region, almost no HF and not a lot of lower bass. The 127 Fonk's went lower and more 'naturally' too. Not good. After week3 (!) of being couped up in the lounge with all our kitchen possesions around us work on the Kitchen finished and we could slowly move our stuff back .

The light use during that same 3 week period showed the Sabs had very slightly improved, not a lot but a little... I was disappointed :(

The night before going up to a local-ish DIY HiFi meet I bit the bullet, I dragged 'em into the little near-soundproof computer room and thrashed them for a good 10 hours with 2 watts per channel of dub on repeat with a CD player on repeat overnight.

Next morning I dragged 'em up to Phils and lo and behold they sounded piggin' brillyant. The other 2 chaps at our little meet very very complimentary enthusing over their sound from the word go... to the point one has decided he's building a pair.

Success!

Back home they're sounding excellent even though aesthetically they are "like two great monoliths" according to my long suffering partner. Yes, they are very big in the lounge of an English 1930's semi detatched house but at a good 9-11ft away from them they sound VERY good. They go way lower than the fonkens but are very clean sounding, no wallowy bass here in Chez bass thank you. Mids are alive just like they are with the Fonkens and the HF is astounding. Imaging is fantastic of course just like the Fonkens, they do mids and bottom end very differently than the Fonkens of course. I love them both.

Really chuffed with 'em (now!) What a journey.

I still need to build some stylish bases for them as the 2 lumps of 3x2 I've got each cab sitting on looks terrible!

Whahey!

DTB

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dublin78 said:
Were your drivers new when you started this project, or were they recycled from another build?

Are they Fostex stock, or eNabled by Planet 10?

I believe the drivers are Scott's blue ones... they have been in a couple protos Scott built, but i expect most of their life has been in storage.

They are preEnable modified units (ie to ~ the same level as a set of P10 drivers with only the pre-treatment.

dave

Right, they're my old blue units. They've given some sterling service in prototyping etc., but I figured it was time to let them move on to someone who would enjoy them for general listening duties -unfortunately, my space isn't ideal for 126 based speakers or they would still be here. :bawling:

Still, I like to think that as well as giving DTB some pleasure (control yourselves gentlemen :D ) they also gave people a taste of what the small Fostex units are capable of, especially when considerably upgraded, when they heard the different prototypes they were to be found in during my ownership.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.