Saburo's Vs. DTB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2008, 10:21 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Yes, that was them. You'll find these are a trifle 'different.'
Old 21st December 2008, 01:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Yes, that was them. You'll find these are a trifle 'different.'

Hey Scott.......What's more intense than GOBSMACKED???? I don't have a descriptive for the sound of these things. The "brother with the opera company" was here last night to audition the Saburo's. We didn't have much conversation other than........"play this one next". We were up most of the night just blown away by the sound. You really have hit a home run with this design, and Dave's mods take them to the moon.
Old 21st December 2008, 09:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

'Compact and bijou'.....
Click the image to open in full size....are not word to describe a Saburo! Temp lash up. I'm going to glue the top/bottom and one side tomorrow but leave the other side open so as to facilitate easy fitting of the internals and the driver bracing, we're going 'whole-hog' BTW, hence all the routing. I'm going to be using Scott's old 126's for now, if the Sab's work out well in my room I'll then decide about going with the P10 all-singing-all-dancin' 126's. I've had 167eN's and still have those bootiful 127eN's in the Fonkens, love 'em.

I've been making expensive saw dust again today. Tops and bum's are routed 12mm deep by 18mm wide to increase the gluing area and make the whole cabinet strong and hunky (can a cabinet be 'hunky'?)
Click the image to open in full size.

More piccies as they're made tomorrow.

DTB
Old 22nd December 2008, 06:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

...check out today’s progress.

Hoovered the whole house this morning...yeah...rock 'n' roll :roll:

Then had PM to myself to play with sharp things down the shed.

1st thing to do was to finish off the 18mm wide by 12mm deep x 1810mm (really) long rout's. Lots of dust was made... most of which seems to land on me causing me to look grey and older than my tender years would suggest. Following on with this reasoning...would it be wise for old' Granpappy Phil do build a pair !!!

But all the loooooong routing is now done...

It's a lot of work doing it this way but I think it's worth it. Next up was to dry assemble to make sure everything lined up OK, it did. Phew!

Then it was time to select 2 pieces that are going to be the front baffle area and cut them to size and cut the holes for the driver, not forgetting the chamfer on the back... see... I'm learning.

Chamfer.

Then dry assemble again to make sure the cab is true (square) and the internals measure right.
Yup, bang on...

...but working on 6ft tall cab in a shed is tight, look at the gap between the clamp handle and my roof!!!

So, seeing as I wanted to get the gluing underway today I shifted the whole caboodle into the bike garage where I had a smidge more room. I've glued only the top end panel and one side of the baffle as it's quite difficult to manhandle such lump of speaker on my own. I've decided to glue little bits over a period of days thus ensuring they're in the the right place and super strong. Dull but sensible!

And that's how far I've got today, not bad achally. Both cabs are now at the preliminary glue-up stage, I'm leaving a side off each cab so I can faff-in the horn bits. Quite long-winded but worthwhile methinks.

Time for bed, night night!

DTB
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Looks good to me so far Dave.
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, nice work.
Old 22nd December 2008, 07:30 PM   #17
Grasp is offline Grasp  Canada
diyAudio Member

Totally Jealous? Me. For sure. I would really like to be doing this right now, but it's -20 to -30 these days and my workshop is the great outdoors. I'm looking forward to your listening impressions!

Great skills by the way - I can't wait to see them finished
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:32 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

^^^^ Thanks for the praise Gent's, very kind of you all.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasp
Totally Jealous? Me. For sure. I would really like to be doing this right now, but it's -20 to -30 these days and my workshop is the great outdoors. I'm looking forward to your listening impressions!

Great skills by the way - I can't wait to see them finished
-20/-30 Blimey! I cease to exist at anything below 2 degrees! I hate the cold. We've had a very cold winter (for the UK) so far but in the last few days it's been very mild +11/+14-ish making it a good time to work with the doors of the garage and shed open. Pure luck really.

Got lots of Christmas related stuff going-on today so doubt I'll get much done in the Sab's dept today

DTB
Old 24th December 2008, 08:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

As suspected not much got done yesterday what with the food shopping and a collection of 36 pints of fresh Ale from a local brewery...yummy <slurps lips>

But i did manage to glue in the bottom and back panel first thing in the morning.

Meet my new mate, Arfur.... or 'Mr Arfur Speaker-Cab' as he's more formally known...

Then it was time to get the back panel glued on, laborious all this innit but it is a sure-fire way to stop anything slipping out of alignment while it's all gluing. Down the shed I'm really push for space but this seemed the easiest place to get the back glued on, thing is... a 6 ft cab on a 4ft work bench mean's balancing and propping things up!

Clamps came of the this morning. Looking good. Should have a bit more gluing and cutting down by tonight, orf down the shed again...

TTFN,

DTB
Old 24th December 2008, 01:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Looking good, Dave! I feel your pain in regards to the size of your work area, mines no wider but about a foot taller.

Keep the updates coming, I look forward to them.

Merry Christmas!

Hide this!Advertise here!