Saburo's Vs. DTB - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2009, 03:32 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Greetings, Gents and Ladies,

I've been reading this project report with very great interest, and I'm inspired to try it myself.

I have a couple of questions, if I may.

Do you have a rough idea of how many hours you've got into the project, Dave?

Also, I have a pair of DCA Merrill type 4" drivers acquired for a planned Sigmahornet project. Will that driver work in this horn, in the event that the Siggies don't sound as satisfying as the glowing 6Moons review found them?

Thank you.

Brenton
Old 12th March 2009, 03:38 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wha' DIYa know?

I have a couple of questions, if I may.

Do you have a rough idea of how many hours you've got into the project, Dave?
Yes, 11 days SOLID over the Christmas holidays Brenton. Starting about 8.30-9.00AM finishing between 5.00-9.00PM ish.... I'm a very slow and methoducal worker when it comes to wood. I'm not a chippy by trade. I'm sure a pro would do it in a day with a table saw and enough clamps!

Dunno about your drivers, maybe one of the tech-bods could answer that one.

They are amazing loudspeakers.

DTB
Old 12th March 2009, 03:40 PM   #103
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Also, I have a pair of DCA Merrill type 4" drivers acquired for a planned Sigmahornet project. Will that driver work in this horn, in the event that the Siggies don't sound as satisfying as the glowing 6Moons review found them?
No. They don't have the magnet strength to drive the horn.

dave
Old 12th March 2009, 07:05 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Thanks to both of you Daves for your answers.

Well, I think I better just tuck in for a lengthy project that promises to reward my efforts at the end. I'll build my Sigmahornets for the practice, since I haven't done any wood-gluing since, ohhh, jr high school.

You did a great job on those speakers, Dave. I've been forwarding the link to my friends.

I'll resign myself to getting the recommended drivers. I'm sure they are only a fraction of the overall cost -- expecially when figgering in the time one must invest.

Again, my thanks.

Brenton
Old 12th March 2009, 10:07 PM   #105
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I'll resign myself to getting the recommended drivers. I'm sure they are only a fraction of the overall cost -- expecially when figgering in the time one must invest
About $100 USD for stock drivers, a bit over 2x that for full zoot (but less postage). A Suitable quantity of good ply will likely cost the same or more as the full-on drivers. Depending on how you finish them it could add $20 or more than all the rest put together.

Then your labour.

dave
Old 13th March 2009, 02:02 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

So looking at doing a good job of it, we're talking 400 to 500 for a set of speakers that really would seem to deliver results that are, well, probably unattainable from a commercially made speaker for anything close to that price.

Instead of coming back to this later in the spring or summer when I hope to get to this, why don't I ask now what driver you have in mind recommending, and where I might obtain them?

Thanks,

Brenton
Old 13th March 2009, 07:05 AM   #107
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Instead of coming back to this later in the spring or summer when I hope to get to this, why don't I ask now what driver you have in mind recommending, and where I might obtain them?
This strays into self-promotion...

It deserves the FE126eN that i make (out of plain old FE126). Contact me off forum for more.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/FE12xeN.html

Click the image to open in full size.

I'll take the liberty of posting a comment by the latest person to receive these drivers (he has been living with stock drivers for years)

Quote:
Rec'd the"full-monty" 126's last week, Thanks!
They are wildly better than I thought possible. It took only a few bars of music to realize they are a completely different and far superior driver than the stock version. By the same token, I didn't realize how rough and fatiguing the untreated units are. I'd previously thought my CC volume wasn't dialed in.
The bass is much more realistic, cleaner, and seemingly fuller across the band. With percussion as crisp and clear as can be, from the crack of the snare, to the beat of the tom-toms.
That this treatment does so much is amazing. Those little "morse-code" dots and dashes really do unlock the potential of these drivers.
To call it a "tweek" is damn it with faint praise.
(I REALLY like the effect!)
dave
Old 13th March 2009, 10:13 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

I recently heard a set of 126s modified by Dave in a pair of Saburos. They were his pre-EnABL drivers, but basically have everything except the EnABL pattern. I used to use them for prototyping and they're a big step up from the stock units. In the Saburos, they punch so far above their weight it's not even funny.
Old 13th March 2009, 06:59 PM   #109
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
[B]I recently heard a set of 126s modified by Dave in a pair of Saburos. They were his pre-EnABL drivers, but basically have everything except the EnABL pattern.
On a scale with stock drivers on one end, and full zoot on the other, i estimate the pre-treated drivers a 1/3 of the way along from the stock ones.

dave
Old 13th March 2009, 08:26 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Dave,

By all means, self-promote! I was asking, and would have been disappointed to miss out on this info, had you felt an obligation not to bring it up.

Brenton

Hide this!Advertise here!