Fonken floorstander duct seal & damping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2008, 03:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fonken floorstander duct seal & damping

Hello, i'm getting ready to build the floorstander Mark II's. Does it help to do the Duct seal on the basket trick? What inner walls is the cotton or wool felt attached to? Seems like i've read all walls but the back wall. Does the holey board actually touch the back of the speaker?
I've read a lot of post about building Fonkens but haven't read a "Sticky" or any indepth post on building these. I have the Planet-10 drawing and a few pictures.
Old 16th December 2008, 04:11 AM   #2
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

The Duct Seal works well for me. I might add that before Duct Seal, I used oil based modelling clay which also works pretty good, never hardens and damps well.

I've seen a "few" Fonkens over at Dave's and while I admire the design (and sound!), I have never constructed one. Dave, Chrisb or SCD can tell you what you need to know as far as cabinet damping is concerned.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 16th December 2008, 04:35 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Fonken floorstander duct seal & damping

Quote:
Originally posted by artfuldodger
Does it help to do the Duct seal on the basket trick? What inner walls is the cotton or wool felt attached to? Seems like i've read all walls but the back wall. Does the holey board actually touch the back of the speaker?
Yes. Yes (i'd do the back wall too -- just not near the vent exit). Yes.

dave
Old 16th December 2008, 06:32 AM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, these are a considerably easier build than the original stand-mounted Fonken, so I guess we considered an assembly log unnecessary. Plus, I tend to accelerate the construction process, and taking photos is generally the last think on my mind, and I usually need to drag Dave into the shop for that.

Yes, we like to fit the driver brace as tightly against the magnet assembly as possible - which generally requires the driver to be temporarily installed for accurate measurement.

If you build with the lower void cavity, I'd definitely recommend filling with inert ballast - as much to stabilize the slender enclosure as to attenuate resonances.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info guys, i've found a few more build pictures and hope to get started soon. I'll fit the drivers tight against the brace/holey board. Do i need to insulate one side of the holey board and not cut out the insulation for the holes? I saw this on one Fonken build.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:14 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by artfuldodger
Do i need to insulate one side of the holey board and not cut out the insulation for the holes? I saw this on one Fonken build.
Yes.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!