half chang or MLTL? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2008, 08:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default half chang or MLTL?

As above, using FE206E, which would give what sort of sound in comparison? Ive only heard the 206 in a bassreflex and i wasnt happy with the highs, not when i heard a smaller 16x series in a backloaded horn which provided very nice highs. So my question sits, and should i pair the 206 with a FT17H for the highs? or will using one of the above enclosures fix the lack of high note? Ofcourse using the BSC in the MLTL
Old 15th December 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

See my reply elsewhere. Cabinets do not improve HF. If a driver doesn't have any to start with, it's not going to get any whatever cabinet you drop it into.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

yeah i read it, thank you for the explination. I guess then, what are the main differences between the ML TL design and the Half Chang, being that neither were designed for this driver. Im just not sure what to build...
Old 15th December 2008, 10:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, might I suggest building something that is designed for for the 206? Stuffing a driver into a cabinet that isn't intended for it is rarely a good idea.

The former will go a little lower; the latter will require less correction & throw a larger soundstage.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

interesting, could you suggest anything that isnt too complex to build but has been designed for the 206e? Also, is it a good idea to pair this unit with a tweeter, or have you heard any that have used a tweeter?

Thanks for the help
Old 15th December 2008, 12:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

See my reply elsewhere. I've never felt the need, because I hate bright sounding systems. So no, personally, I wouldn't bother adding a supertweeter.

As for non-complex cabinets, assuming you actually have a pair of 206s, you've bought a driver specifically designed & intended for use in back-loaded horns, which by nature generally tend to be somewhat complex, and rather large. Depends on how big you can go (?)
Old 15th December 2008, 12:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

size isnt much of an issue, as long as it can be moved through my house haha. I guess i could say id rather tall and deep than wide...but im really not fussed, i can fiddle with the looks to make them suit.
Old 15th December 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I originally used the 206E in MJK's MLTL with the recommended BSC circut. I then put them into the Half Chang's with a slight change to the BSC and like that setup much better. The Half Chang's gave better base. I have since moved on to MJK's Open Baffle project and this is even better.
Old 15th December 2008, 12:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response, the HC looks like an interesting build, but i think i will look at some more designs made for the 206 first before i make a decision.
Old 15th December 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you don't mind it being large, then how about a BIB?

Cheers, Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!