Mellow Monster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Mark - and Welcome to diyAudio :D

We have a member here that goes by the screen name auplater - you can look him up on the members list. As you are a new member I don't know if you will be allowed to email him direct until you have been here awhile and made a few post. But if you look up which threads he is busy on (assuming that this is the person you are looking for) you could chime in with a bit of useful insight and ask him to contact you. Hope that you find this helpful - and good luck with your project.

One bit of warning - if you hang around here long enough - it won't be the last project that you will find yourself working on! :rolleyes: But that's a good thing! ;)

:D

Let 'em come. I could do with a good laugh.

Personally, I'm off down the bookies to find out what odds they'll give me for Monster Cable trying to issue Walkers Crisps with a writ, for re-introducing their (most excellent) Monster Munch corn snack. A corn snack which was originally launched in 1977 of course, 2 years before Monster Cable existed. :tongue:

Attachments

• monstermunch-spicy.jpg
    monstermunch-spicy.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,354
Hi Planet10,ther are 2 drivers,maybe 3 that would work perfectly in the Mello Monster.The first is a Fostex 8 inch co-ax,FE207E that is sheilded,and Seas just came out with an 8 inch co-ax I think is called the Europa.There is a guy on the Fostex and Lowther speaker site on Google that has 8,10,and 12 inch co-ax's called Nirvana that are highly efficiaint....Mark

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mark Korda said:
Fostex 8 inch co-ax,FE207E that is sheilded,and Seas just came out with an 8 inch co-ax

Neither of those is well suited to a true horn, For the FE207 you would likely be better off -- and have a much simplier build -- if you used one of the modern designs specifically made for it (ie any of the appropriate Changs), The SEAS are sufficently expensive that it will be a while before plans start trickling out, and the AN, being David Dick's house brand, also don't get as much attention as the Fostex. Some of those would be better served with horn loading than the BR David Dick's recommends.

dave

Mark Korda said:
Hi Planet10,ther are 2 drivers,maybe 3 that would work perfectly in the Mello Monster.The first is a Fostex 8 inch co-ax,FE207E that is sheilded,and Seas just came out with an 8 inch co-ax I think is called the Europa.There is a guy on the Fostex and Lowther speaker site on Google that has 8,10,and 12 inch co-ax's called Nirvana that are highly efficiaint....Mark

Just to point out, those are not coax drivers. They're FR / WR drivers. A coax generally implies a multiway with a tweeter firing through the centre of the larger bass cone.

I imagine Dave was simply curious about what drivers (specifically)the cabinet was originally intended for -there are very few such units he hasn't seen, & you won't find many people with the kind of experience he has with FR drivers generally.

Just to echo what he said, neither the FE207E, nor the Seas unit are especially well suited to horn loading -too high a Q / not enough raw motor power to be ideal. You would be better off with Fostex's FE206E, FE208ESigma, FF225K, or one of the cast frame Audio Nirvana units, which as Dave points out, are inherently better suited to back-horns than BR or sealed enclosures.

You have really lucked out Mark by finding this site when you did. Since enclosures are usually designed around a particular driver and not the other way around, it would be best for you to find an enclosure style like the Mellow Monster to build and use the driver it was designed for. I'm not trying to Boo Hoo your plans, I think you will find a more suitable design here.

Also, most if not all of the enclosures on this site have been designed and then tested and then modified as necessary. Some plans, even from the driver manufacturers, are OK but not evolved and corrected like the designs you'll find here. It may take a lifetime for you to notice or appreciate the differences but why not build a superior design to begin with?

901Fixer said:
Since enclosures are usually designed around a particular driver and not the other way around, it would be best for you to find an enclosure style like the Mellow Monster to build and use the driver it was designed for.
Fixer:
I've been looking around a bit and the MellowMonster is a bit different concept than most of the horn-type enclosures I've found, with 'sideways' folding. Pretty interesting, and it might be a good point of departure for something worked over with modern software.

The MellowMonster does have the advantage of not being 5 or 6 feet tall, or being the 'most interesting' looking thing in the room, so might appeal to some folks on that basis.

Can you suggest some other compact horn designs I should be looking at for larger drivers like the 8"+ AudioNirvana speakers?

Thanks
John

VictoriaGuy said:

Fixer:
I've been looking around a bit and the MellowMonster is a bit different concept than most of the horn-type enclosures I've found, with 'sideways' folding. Pretty interesting, and it might be a good point of departure for something worked over with modern software.

The MellowMonster does have the advantage of not being 5 or 6 feet tall, or being the 'most interesting' looking thing in the room, so might appeal to some folks on that basis.

Can you suggest some other compact horn designs I should be looking at for larger drivers like the 8"+ AudioNirvana speakers?

Thanks
John

Very good points. I'm sure the UberFanatics here are already adjusting some of its dimensions to better suit the current stable of their favorite drivers. I have yet to see any FR designs utilizing an 8" driver.
The Fonkens are rather cubic like and perform at the top of the class and ironically they seem to have the simplest internal mo-jo as well.
I wonder if the 8" has the ability to produce the HF without tweeter help.

I understand where you are coming from Mark, you've wanted to build a Mello Monster for years and it has been gnawing at you.

Since these will be more than just a couple of new end tables, how they perform is equally important I am assuming. It was an early design and I read on one of the pages.."But we don't mean to imply that it is theoretically correct". As mentioned above, some of the enclosures here are evolved variations of the MM concept that have corrected or improved apon its faults/weaknesses. It looks as complicated internally as most I've seen and not nearly as interesting or beautiful on the outside.

Scottmoose said:
The cabinet in question is just a somewhat modified (& inferior, IMHO) version of one of Olson's Studio Horn designs from the 1940s. YMMV of course. The latter were the inspiration for some of my enclosures on the FH site.
Scott-
I seem to have some problems navigating around the frugelhorn site- which of your designs are you referring to?
Thanks
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.