Dallas II + 208E = ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of building Ron's Dallas II horns for the FE-206E.
I have already bought all the wood and it's cut to boards. I still haven't ordered the 206E's.

Yesterday I found a deal to buy a pair of newer used 208E + T90a tweeters.

So, my question is: What modifications would be necessary for Dallas II to best accommodate 208E?

Your thoughts on how would the 208+t90+dallas combo sound?
I have found this quote from Ron on the forum

i had the Fountek with my 208s in the old original Dallas. Excellent combo.

Ron your further input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

All and any ideas about this combo would be helpful.
Crossover freq for the tweet ? I was thinking a cap and a L-pad and freq. of about 10kHz . Suggested values for these?
Placement of the tweeter?

All and any ideas about this combo would be helpful.
Crossover freq for the tweet ? I was thinking a cap and a L-pad and freq. of about 10kHz . Suggested values for these?
Placement of the tweeter?

Never worked with the T90. I used a ribbon and just a cap. Dont remember the value, but any 2way XO calculator will work. Yep i XOed at 10Khz. Sorry but all the components are in a box on the bottom of a buncha boxes in my spare bedroom (aka junk room). One of the MAJOR problems of ppl building the DallasII is they dont recognize the importance of a TOTAL airtight seal of the driver to the baffle. One builder of the DallasIII did a really beautiful job on the cabs, then had the speaker wires running out the driver hole with NO sealent whatsoever????????
Then builders complain about lack of bass.

ron

Ron, thanks for your reply.

I'll make sure everything is airtight.

So no modifications to the design necessary for the 208 ?

Isn't only a cap on a tweeter a first order crossover? Why use a 2nd order calculator ?

Any comments on difference in sound quality 206 vs. 208 ?
208 are double the price of 206 and they need a tweeter. Your thoughts is this a worthy upgrade ?
Has anybody directly compared 206 to 208 in the same BLH?
Phase plugs in 208? I've seen 208 don't have a regular dustcap, do they benefit from phase plugs ?

BTW Do you know for what wood thickness are plans on planet10's site for?
I started laying the design down on the side panel, and noticed that the plans assume a different thickness. I'm using 18mm ply, and as that is the preferred size of ply, I thought that the plans would be for that size too.

Its a first order XO, i just used an online program for a 2way. Disregard the coil parameters, just use cap value.

208 has greater detail and smoothness,the 206 i found to have a harsh top end even with phase plugs.

18mm is the designed thickness.

ron

I have the Fe208e sigma and T90a combination in a D-58es horn. I have played around with the crossover and found one capacitor of 1.0uF is the best. no need for an L pad, just wire it direct.

I have compared the fe206e and fe208e sigma and they are chalk and cheese. here are my thoughts:
1. 206 is exciting, but fatiguing in the highs. This did not improve as it 'run in', or with other mods.
2. 206 has reasonable bass and can be capitvating on well recorded material. Not too forgiving on poor quality recordings
3. 208 is smoother overall with a more even balance, better mid bass.
4. 208 is a little darker, less livelier (thats a good thing) and is forgiving on most material. A more classy performer.
5. In both, you will notice more detail and less distortion than a conventional speaker
6. i found both work well with classical music and small ensembles. not as effective with rock music or orchestral.
7. Both require little amplifier power and work best with tubes in my view.

Have fund!

adamt said:
I have the Fe208e sigma and T90a combination in a D-58es horn. I have played around with the crossover and found one capacitor of 1.0uF is the best. no need for an L pad, just wire it direct.

I have compared the fe206e and fe208e sigma and they are chalk and cheese. here are my thoughts:
1. 206 is exciting, but fatiguing in the highs. This did not improve as it 'run in', or with other mods.
2. 206 has reasonable bass and can be capitvating on well recorded material. Not too forgiving on poor quality recordings
3. 208 is smoother overall with a more even balance, better mid bass.
4. 208 is a little darker, less livelier (thats a good thing) and is forgiving on most material. A more classy performer.
5. In both, you will notice more detail and less distortion than a conventional speaker
6. i found both work well with classical music and small ensembles. not as effective with rock music or orchestral.
7. Both require little amplifier power and work best with tubes in my view.

Have fund!

I own FE206E's and agree with point 1 and 2, but in response to point 6 and 7, I think they do very well with rock music (if horn loaded) and perform equally great with either tubes or t-amps.

wixy said:

I own FE206E's and agree with point 1 and 2, but in response to point 6 and 7, I think they do very well with rock music (if horn loaded) and perform equally great with either tubes or t-amps.

I've heard 206e in a Dallas II, and I agree they do rock.

Amp in charge of my future Dallas speakers is an AMP5 from 41Hz (bigger Tripath) and for backup a modded T-amp.

planet10 said:

There are ways to tame them.

dace

Hi planet10, I contacted you over e-mail about your 206en. Sorry but the shipping thing didn't work out.

Could you compare stock 206 to 208?
I can get my hands on a pair of 208+T90A for about double the price of a stock 206. Do you think that's a good deal (is the upgrade worth the money)?
Any ideas about 208 and phase plugs ? Do they need them? They don't have just a regular dustcap.

I'll probably try to do a enable process on 208, first with pieces of duck tape for a try-out. Any thoughts on that ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mr.Mekulic said:
Could you compare stock 206 to 208?

I could only guess... i do have a 208 project upcoming, then i'll actually get to see one.

I can get my hands on a pair of 208+T90A for about double the price of a stock 206. Do you think that's a good deal (is the upgrade worth the money)?
Any ideas about 208 and phase plugs ? Do they need them?

I'd be inclined to not phase plug the new 208eS (the old FE208s yes). The T90s along are worth as much (or more) than stock 206s. Sounds like good value to me,

I'll probably try to do a enable process on 208, first with pieces of duck tape for a try-out. Any thoughts on that ?

Even with pre-treatment i'd worry about the duxt-tape tearing the cone surface, even paintres tape or magivc tape can do this.

dave

planet10 said:

I could only guess... i do have a 208 project upcoming, then i'll actually get to see one.

I'd be inclined to not phase plug the new 208eS (the old FE208s yes). The T90s along are worth as much (or more) than stock 206s. Sounds like good value to me,

Even with pre-treatment i'd worry about the duxt-tape tearing the cone surface, even paintres tape or magivc tape can do this.

dave

In the enable thread there was a proposed non-permanent treatment, I thought it was with duck-tape, I'll have to re-read the thread.

About the phase plugs, 208ez stock already have a kind of phase plug. I also noticed that they don't beam, at least not as 206 witch beam like some kind of directed antennae :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.