More newbie build ramblings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After much deliberation in another thread I’ve decided to build a pair of fullrange speakers.

As far as form factor and design I want to go with something like this Cyburgs Sticks or this Fonken Mk2. Driver wise I fancied using the tang band bamboo W4-1320 cyburgs sticks are intended for a slightly different driver and the fonkens are intended for a fostex one so I’d be keen to know how much adjustment would be needed to get these drivers to work in these enclosures

Another driver that appeals is the W5-1611SA but I’ve not seen any designs using these. I’m not so keen on the fostex drivers I’m afraid to say this but I’m not keen on their looks

In the system I’d run a sub to deal with the lower end of things. An idea that came to me is an odd take on a 2 way design buy adding a smallish 4-5” sub alongside a fullrange like this

modifiedstickssmall.jpg

I used sketchup for this pic and none of the models are my own I just slapped em together

Could this work with these designs or would I be better off sticking to the conventional with a dedicated enclosure with a larger sub in it

The TB bamboo driver is very good. It's a nice alternative to Fostex because it has a warmer sound. But it's not as efficient or as fast/detailed a driver as the Fostex. It does look better tho and sounds great.

It will not work if you put a woofer into the same box as the full range driver unless the full range driver is separated in its own enclosed part of the cabinet. The woofer will create air inside the cabinet disturbing the main driver. Keep the main speakers and subwoofer separate.

Have fun!

Apologies for disappearing then resurrecting this thread

The W5-1611sa also from tang band are only a couple of euros more than the bamboo's so they are my current favorite

But the only plans i've found are on this thread
W5-1611sa . I'm guessing this driver isnt widely available which would explain the lack of info on it. How would I go about designing or modifying an existing design to make it more suitable for this driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.