Is this TL box OK for FE206E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, thanks for any help on this you can toss my way.

I recently picked up a nice set of boxes for not much dough. They are Audionics TL 30. There are no drivers, so it's hard to go on that- but I wanted the boxes for a full range project.

I know you should pick your driver and build your box to fit... but I don't have those resources at this time, and I DO have these boxes.

SO,

Box passage front is 42.74 sq inches area and 36.5" total length.
This gives front of .9 cubic ft

Box passage rear is 36.12 inches area and 23" length.
This gives rear of .7 cubic ft

Rear port size high on back is(I'm guessing way too big) 8" x 3.5"

I tried reverse engineering speaker driver to fit the box size.

It would appear the FE206e is a closer match than the FE166. Does this seem to fit what you reckon on this sort of box?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,

RW :)

planet10 said:
Can you do a sketch of the line?

Without doing any sims, my guess would be that FE207 has a MUCH better chance of working out in this box.

Lybb Olsen did some work on at least some of the Audionics speakers... he may have some insight on the driver originally used.

dave

Thanks for the reply. I should edit the second length is 33" not 23"

I will look into the fe207.

Assuming they are what I think they are (as in two untapered paths, the second smaller than the first, & terminating in a slightly smaller vent) I'd sell them. The 206 will not be a happy camper at all in that cabinet, & the 207 won't be a whole lot better, unless you're happy to accept either a) a chronic lack of LF, or b) chronic ripple in the FR. If you really must, as Dave suggests, the 207 or the el cheapo Pioneer B20 would be marginally better, but still not up to it, IMO.

You are correct, the paths are not tapered top to bottom. They are triangular passages, but same area for the extent of the path.

I'm not married to 'em, so if they won't work- no loss. I was just hoping to recycle a pretty nice cabinet into something.

I suppose I could create a taper within the box...

These are 2-fold transmission lines originally set up for Audax 8-inch drivers and a pair of Peerless HFC 225 cone tweeters - very good drivers for the day.

Being traditional TL's, the tuning is not very critical - just remember to fill most of the length of the line with wool or Fortrel/Dacron filling. No reason you can't pick your favorite Fostex and give it a spin - I'd shoot for a Qts somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5.

Thanks for the reply Lynn. I had found you associated with the lineage of the Audionics TL-30, but that's about all I could find of the speaker.
The cabinets are decently made. They are still in pretty good shape. I'll need to redo the front baffles for whatever I end up putting in there.

I have a set of vintage radio shack full range 8's and some Pioneer pt-220 horn tweets I might try with a 2mfd oil in cap. Might be the first move- then the full range fostex or something. Easy enough to try a few versions and test mule the thing. I've been in audio for a bit, but not into dyi for a while.

Thanks again,

RW

Audionics TL-30 drivers

These are 2-fold transmission lines originally set up for Audax 8-inch drivers and a pair of Peerless HFC 225 cone tweeters - very good drivers for the day.

Being traditional TL's, the tuning is not very critical - just remember to fill most of the length of the line with wool or Fortrel/Dacron filling. No reason you can't pick your favorite Fostex and give it a spin - I'd shoot for a Qts somewhere between 0.3 and 0.5.

Hi,

My name is Jim Croft, and I designed the TL-30 some time before Lynn brought his excellent skills to Audionics and their later products. The woofer was actually the Philips 8" paper cone with the octagon shaped frame. I don't remember the model number. The Philips woofer certainly wasn't free of coloration in the midrange, but as Lynn mentioned, the Peerless tweeters were surprisingly good and the shallow initial slope, overlapping crossover provided for a rather smooth horizontal power response transition compared to other systems of the day.
Cheers,
Jim

Last edited:
Hi,

My name is Jim Croft, and I designed the TL-30 some time before Lynn brought his excellent skills to Audionics and their later products. The woofer was actually the Philips 8" paper cone with the octagon shaped frame. I don't remember the model number. The Philips woofer certainly wasn't free of coloration in the midrange, but as Lynn mentioned, the Peerless tweeters were surprisingly good and the shallow initial slope, overlapping crossover provided for a rather smooth horizontal power response transition compared to other systems of the day.
Cheers,
Jim

I think the bottom line reply to OP is that the FE206E(n) would not be a safe bet for this enclosure, and of course in the intervening 2 years the more likely candidate within the Fostex product series ( i.e. FE207) has been discontinued, although some may still reside in vendor's stock or on the used market.

Lynn / James might have some suggestions as to whether any of currently available Vifa / Peerless drivers would be better suited to the project.

Wow, I was surprised to find a reply notification on this thread after all this time. Thanks to you both.

Life has intervened the project is still a go but I will try the single 8's with the horn and a cap. I may use a control on the tweet but we'll see... Just need to find the time.... soon.

In the meantime I have been making do with old Altec 604's driven by an 300B SET, along with a pair of subs controlled off the preamp. This has been great and really made me lazy on this other project.

Cheers,

RW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.