Backloaded Horn for Fostex FE 83

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
becki200 said:
Hi im a newbie here and first of all i love this forum. Im building backloaded horns and im still looking for a small blh enclosure for the Fostex FE 83. Does anyone have an idea? I heard that there is a Nagaoka enclosure for this driver, but couldnt find a plan for it. So if you can help me, please answer. Thx a lot and best regards Thorsten

look at the original Buschhorn MkI enclosure - I think it's about as small a "BLH" as you're likely to find that actually works.

http://www.speaker-online.de/bauen/bhorn.htm

If you can't read the original German text, the diagram and parts list should be sufficient to build from.

This design/folding topology is relatively easy to modify for a 4" driver (i.e. FE126/FE108EZ/FF125K - works best with the 126)

Note that optimum performance of this type of design is predicated on using room corners to complete the final section of horn mouth - they will still work without, but be severely limited in the lowest octaves.

Hello,

because of the little Xmax of the driver,
better take a double horn i prefer my
TROMBONE

Attachments

• trombone jvo.kl.datei.jpg
    trombone jvo.kl.datei.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,799
giantstairs said:
I think you can find it here:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/spida/eng-page9-1-3.htm

I think Clark at Blumenstein Audio sells something like this:
http://www.blumenstein-ultra-fi.com/naga.html

Good luck and let us now which you decide.

Yes, the F-81 was the starting point for the Naga design, which is now pretty heavily evolved. It is definitely viable in stock "F-81" form though.

I personally love the small Fostex drivers. harder to please than you think though... they are very resolute, especially in the upper frequencies. gotta feed 'em right.

I am having some modded by Dave Dlugos now, actually to offer as an option in the Naga horn... should take things to the next level.

-Clark

I have lowther in mauhorn enclosures in a 17 sq m and they often sligthly lack bass for classical music. So I was wondering looking at the sims what kind of music you can listen with those tiny driver.

But maybe a subwoofer is easier to join with those tiny drivers than with the 8 drivers (fostex 206 or lowther)

nb : Blumenco's naga look very nice ! Superb job ! It's nice to see that such quality and nice handmade products are available

yes, definitely.

Thanks for the compliments! It is really fun handmaking things and always pushing myself. It is athletic work, (mind and body) for sure. That I can do it for a living is my customers' greatest gift to me.

A subwoofer is indeed easier to join with a small fullrange (in general). The F-81 in stock form, properly setup will actually dive down to around 50hz(!). If you do the math of the box, (~12 ft, driver roughly at position zero) this confirms the theoretical ability of the box to go that low. It is essentially an organ pipe in that case then, except for the doubling expansion (60mm to 120mm, constant width) of the F-81. The F-81 is not super deadpan flat bass, (no horn truely is...) but I found this horn bass to be tolerable, with tweaking eventually enjoyable given the virtues of drivers this small. I would say that in the critical ranges for most music, the F-81 gets the bass done well, actually.

The Naga is slightly better in bass flatness than the F-81, but to be honest, I have concentrated more on getting the midrange to really "happen" than anything else. That should let you know what I think of the bass of the stock F-81...

I offer the Naga with a subwoofer which as a system goes down to 20hz, but I find a sub with the naga to be unnecessary for the general customer (and considering a difficult BLH-Bassreflex meshing, it is easier for most people to screw up than get right, IMO).

I have read around and heard from madisound as well that the FE83e and FE87e does some interesting things in an open baffle. Indeed they do, but require bass support.

play play play

-Clark

mauhorn in sandwich

Hello,

My amp is an OTL using 6as7g, 6 watt per channel.

When I use an el34 push pull (35watt per channel) there is more bass...

I didn't try to add a series resistor yet.

One of the important thing, I noticed is the placement. Currently the enclosures are almost "in sandwich between" a wall and a furniture.

If I moved the speakers and give them some "air to breath", things get better.

But it's not very practical, knowing the depth of mauhorn iv....

f-81 or buschorn mk I ?

Back to the topic of enclosures for fostex fe83, I'm still tempted to give a try to a small fostex drivers in my room.

I'm not effrayed by "big"enclosures for those small drivers quite the contrary !

Considering fe83, I have shortlisted the following design.

- first version of buschhorn. Is it a good design ? a lot of comments about the mk ii version for fe103, but nothing for the original version with fe83.

- the F-81, nagaoka ; unfortunately it's not in the fostex "cookbook" sold by madisound. THe link to the japanese website doesn't give enough informations to build it. Otherwise it seems quite simple to build and nice.

- a bib.

- the nice "swan" and cobra enclosures. I'm tempted but for a first build it's maybe not the best choice...

Any advices ?

Thanks !

Re: f-81 or buschorn mk I ?

hornophile said:
Back to the topic of enclosures for fostex fe83, I'm still tempted to give a try to a small fostex drivers in my room.

I'm not effrayed by "big"enclosures for those small drivers quite the contrary !

Considering fe83, I have shortlisted the following design.

- first version of buschhorn. Is it a good design ? a lot of comments about the mk ii version for fe103, but nothing for the original version with fe83.

- the F-81, nagaoka ; unfortunately it's not in the fostex "cookbook" sold by madisound. THe link to the japanese website doesn't give enough informations to build it. Otherwise it seems quite simple to build and nice.

- a bib.

- the nice "swan" and cobra enclosures. I'm tempted but for a first build it's maybe not the best choice...

Any advices ?

Thanks !

1 vote for the Buschhorn MK I (FWIW, when modified for the FE126 or FE108E Sigma, I quite prefer it to the MKII), and at least one commercial manufacturer might concur .. but I may have said too much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.