Help with Sansui Woofer +Fostex FF85K for OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Group:
I was given a set of Sansui W-195 woofers a few years ago. They are a nice 15inch driver. I was also lucky enough to win a lovely set of P10-Enabled FF85k drivers at the VI Audiofest this last summer.
I am now thinking about using these drivers to build an OB system.
I could use some help and advise in designing the set up.
I am having difficulty finding anything out about the W-195 driver. I have searched and only come with 70watt power handling. If some one has used this driver or has measured the TS parameters I would really appreciate some help.
Any other advice is also appreciated
Thanks for the help

OB is so easy to mock up, I suggest just throwing them on a board and seeing what you've got. I suspect that the woofs you've got are probably not well suited for OB, but it is possible that they may be made to work. First step is a couple of chunks chipboard and a jigsaw...

The biggest difficulty with a passive setup here is the cost of mocking it up. 8-10mh coils are pricey - and choosing the right type (i.e. DCR) is important here when the woofer is the limit on sensitivity.

More significantly with "small" passive OBs any design (crossover & baffle size) must start with the woofer -- so T-S parameters are a necessity. You need to get someone to measure those woofers for you. After that any number of people are competent to help you out.

Sean

Thanks for the replies folks.
Dave is right I do have a few options in the amplifier department. I was mostly asking if any one is familiar with this driver and if anyone has measured the TS parameters on it.
I think it has potential but I wanted to confirm. I agree the sensitivity match is real important. Although I could L-pad down the tweeter if I had to or as Dave mentioned power up the bass driver with a chip amp or two built right into the design.

So thanks for the comments.
I would be interested in peoples experiences and thoughts on this driver.

Thanks for the help

seanzozo said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More significantly with "small" passive OBs any design (crossover & baffle size) must start with the woofer -- so T-S parameters are a necessity. You need to get someone to measure those woofers for you. After that any number of people are competent to help you out.

Sean

Sean,

I may be mistaken, but I personally don't believe that there are very many people that are competent enough to "help" Scott, unless you're suggesting financial contributions. In that case, I personally know of another indivdual that would certainly appreciate "competent" help.
:D

I realize, of course, that you had intended to give good advice to someone that you probably don't know. Having known Scott for a number of years, I have heard more that a few of his speakers, along with his amps, as well as seeing some of his other projects. I feel safe in saying that there is very little, in any medium or material, that Scott is incapable of doing to the highest degree of craftsmanship.

I often have wished that I was as talented, but sadly, I'll have to be content with being so darn handsome.
:cannotbe:

Best Regards,
TerryO

The help I intended was merely with regard to design issues - panel size and crossover assistance. I was also intending to indicate that these OBs--especially when passive and of reasonable size--are difficult to cut-and-try effectively.

Clearly I was not suggesting help with execution issues which, clearly Scott needs little to no help in that area.

seanzozo said:
The help I intended was merely with regard to design issues - panel size and crossover assistance. I was also intending to indicate that these OBs--especially when passive and of reasonable size--are difficult to cut-and-try effectively.

Clearly I was not suggesting help with execution issues which, clearly Scott needs little to no help in that area.

Sean,

Everything you suggested was good advice and too often overlooked.

I'm sure that many that read your posting came away with an increased understanding of the necessary steps and concerns in speaker design...something that seldom happens when I contribute. But then, I've always said that I'll begin giving good advice when I'm no longer able to set a bad example!
;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry OH

Well my friend you are very good at providing helpful comments and keep me thinking. Sean did provide some good points to think about. I agree that putting holes into plywood and trying it out is not a very efficient way to arrive a good solution.
Dave has offered to measure the TS parameters for me. So the next time I go down to Victoria I will be taking these drivers with me.
I am a little suprised that there is so little information available about this driver.It was quite popular in it's day.

Thanks for the help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.