Where do I start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sylver300B said:
.. what is the "puzzlecoat" treatment? and for phase plugs.. do you have some left?

http://t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

Yes on the phase plugs.

Personally i'd give up on the zigmahornets... something like the Solo 103 probably does a better job for a lot less wood. Without measures and a design specifically for your drivers thou, something where the box dominates the performance is probably a better bet. B-horn, ML-V or ML-TL, maybe Frugel-Horn

dave

Scottmoose said:
Last page of the Frugel-horn pdf has the Buschorn MK1 plans, enlarged / widened for 4 1/2in drivers.

Thanks, Scott - I knew they were there somewhere.

These plans were created for our build of 2 pairs of enclosures (FE108E Sigma & FE126), that allowed us to directly compare those drivers in the same cabinet, as well as a benchmark during the early development stages of the Frugelhorn. The 108's are still playing in my wife's system upstairs - they're used them mostly for background and yoga/meditation music, and is quite happy with them.

FWIW, as magical as the 108's midrange is, in either the BH or FH cabinets, the FE126E certainly has more "wow" factor, and the full-zoot EnABL treatment mitigates much of the "exuberance" in the 126's upper midrange that some can find tiring over extended listening sessions. (I include myself in this category).

Regarding the FE103E, there's no question to me that either of these BLH or any of Scott's Nagaoka inspired designs would be more complicated builds than Fostex's little BR, the Zigmahornet, BD bipolar pipes or the Solo 103 enclosure.

However it's also clear from my experience that the more complicated designs hold no guarantee of better performance. I've built both Fostex's FE126 "hybrid" and FE103E BLH - to describe either of them as "chalk 'n cheese" compared to the BH MKI would be an understatement. Indeed, a commercial speaker based on this design could be very successful.

Hi ,

The last drawing is indeed the MkI but it also saus that improved version have been created and the drawing is there for information only. Is there a plan of the improved one, if not was the improved one much better ?

Looks like David is teasing us :) but of course it is nice to have the plan for the MkI.

Regards,
Eric

rjbond3rd said:
So that's where you've hidden it! The secret's out.

To those directly involved, or with non-selective memory, there's no big secret as to the inspiration for the FrugelHorn project.

AFAIC, even more significant than the evolution of the FH design itself, was the spirit of collaboration between a wide range of DIYers, and particularly Scott's debut as a pretty serious designer in his own right.

To Zigma or not to Zigma..

planet10 said:

http://t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

Yes on the phase plugs.

Personally i'd give up on the zigmahornets... something like the Solo 103 probably does a better job for a lot less wood. Without measures and a design specifically for your drivers thou, something where the box dominates the performance is probably a better bet. B-horn, ML-V or ML-TL, maybe Frugel-Horn

dave

Hi Dave,

I was asking about the Zigmas since I have a pair already built, that I never succeeded to sound good, not even "acceptable". So, I was wondering if I was just not aware that a notch filter is needed or not.. A little Philips 4" in this same enclosure (the ones with whizzer cones) was already an improvement over my Foster 103.

Glad to see the phase plugs are available. I might try it and see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.