Half Chili build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Built my first FR using an AN8 std. Decided to build one with a Fostex. Settled on the 167 and ordered a 167EN from Dave.

While waiting for the driver, started on the cab. Done up a cut sheet and find out that can build the speakers on 1 4x8. Went to Home Depot and bought a sheet of 3/4 Birch ply and got it ripped.

With this cabinet grade b ply, the birch is definitely way thiner than BB ply

Attachments

• half chili 005.jpg
    half chili 005.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,070
Glued up the edges with birch edging. Tha's all gluing I have done.

I also cut the holely brace but did not cut the holes yet. Wanted to get the drive and get the right mesaurements for the driver cutout before cutting the holes.

Also try to glue the chamber but have to ripped it apart because pretty hard to get it square and snugg. Will have to glue all pieces at once (with the holely braces). Guess will have to wait for the driver to arrive before can go any further.

Question about material to line the chamber.

I have ripped apart the box of an old mattress and recycle the box frame lumber before sending all to the landfill. There is a layer of this felt sandwiched between the foam padding. It is about 1/4 inch thick.

Can I glue two of them together to make a 1/2 inch thick sheet to lined the chamber?

The felt is not uniform, some part is a bit more packed down than others, is it better to glue 3 layers?

Attachments

• felt.jpg
    felt.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 764
Hwong good luck with your build, keep the photos coming!

Hi all

After my ramblings on the Half Chang thread and have sat down today and have measured the space where the speakers will sit and I believe the Half Chilli Chang will be just the ticket.

Here come the questions...

1. The B&W 601s2 speakers I currently use have 6.5” drivers, how will the bass of the Fostex compare with these units?

2. How close can I position the Chilli's to the rear wall?

3. I have a fairly varied range of music tastes, what genre(s) best suit these speakers?

4. Will my 3886 dual mono chip amp drive these speakers OK?

Thanks for your help

Richard

p.s Here is a picture show you where the speakers will reside

Attachments

• lounge.jpg
    lounge.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 853
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tripmaster said:
1. The B&W 601s2 speakers I currently use have 6.5" drivers, how will the bass of the Fostex compare with these units?

As a generalization, the dedicated mid-bass will have higher excursion and has the potential to go lower (BTW you are typing some >127 ASCII character for " and it is showing up as some weird piece of punctuation on my (no doubt different platform) computer). But it is in a much smaller box, so that gives the larger half-chili an edge.

One thing for certain is that the Half-Chili will be on the order of 6 dB more efficient (maybe more -- i'm just guessing the efficiency of the B&Ws). What amp are you using/going to use?

dave

planet10 said:

As a generalization, the dedicated mid-bass will have higher excursion and has the potential to go lower (BTW you are typing some >127 ASCII character for " and it is showing up as some weird piece of punctuation on my (no doubt different platform) computer). But it is in a much smaller box, so that gives the larger half-chili an edge.

One thing for certain is that the Half-Chili will be on the order of 6 dB more efficient (maybe more -- i'm just guessing the efficiency of the B&Ws). What amp are you using/going to use?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tripmaster said:

It will be way more than sufficient power-wise. It probably has a lower than optimal output impedance -- that gives you an opportunity to try some thin speaker wire -- try some 30g wire-wrap-wire (the stuff at radio shack is quite decent) or magnet wire.

dave

Hello again

Sorry about the rapid fire questions, I just want to have this clarified before I get too excited:happy1: Its hard making a decision without hearing them first:xfingers:

1 . How far from the rear wall should the half chillis be placed, can they stand a few inches away from the wall like my B&Ws?

2. Apart from efficiency and build satisfaction what benefits will these speakers bring when compared with a pair of speakers similar to the ones a currently own?

Thanks

Richard

Tripmaster said:
Hi Dave

I might be able to purchase a pair of Hemp FR6.5C cheaply, I know you have been unimpressed with Hemps customer service but how do the specs compare with the Fostex, any better?

The B&Ws are 88db/1w

Thanks

Richard

Hemp Acoustic's legendary customer service aside, I think it might be fair to say that their driver specs could be even more unreliable than Fostex's, and the proof of the pudding is always in the consumption. Having said that, I don't think I've ever read bad reviews of the sound of the Hemp drivers.

I have a pair of the FR4.5s myself, in the Brynn enclosure, and quite like them - a darker, richer blend than a similar sized Fostex (i.e FE127E) in the same enclosure - but one to which it's pretty easy to acclimatize.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.