Surprising results in Wego and Film A-B in 1st order.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever try out Wego capacitors? German made for hi-fi gear. Better question, has anyone ever heard an electrolytic sounding better then a film cap in a crossover?

I compared a few caps on these little Infinity 6422cfp speakers. These are 4x6 plates with a 4" woofer and 1" tweeter.
The test was a simple 1st order Butterworth 6db/octave. Simple high pass for the tweeter.
Though i didn't really have a real nice selection of caps to A-B the results were surprising.
caps used...

Solen MKP-FC 3.3uf / 250v

ERO MKT1813 4.7uf / 100v

ERO MKT1813 1.5uf / 100v x 2 for 3.0uf

Generic MKT cap 3.3uf / 250v

Wego Elko Glatt TFZ 3.3uf / 23vac

Im not gonna describe all of them but what i will say is the Wego TFZ beat all of them. It literally made all of them sound harsh and upfront. Where the Wego didn't seem to emphasize on the highs too much. Just kept the mix together. I know these aren't the greatest film caps to put to the test. But i would have never guessed an electrolytic would take the crown.
Has anyone had any experience with Wego's? Good, bad?
the ERO 1.5uf x 2 was runner up by the way.

Not the worst. But the specific one.
I also tried Wego caps. In a Heco P3302 speakers.

I compared them with:
Generic MKT
Philips MKT
Monacop MKP
Russian (USSR) MBGO-2 (paper-oil)
Generic bipolar elyt (like Samwha)
Wima MKP

I wass pupprised, Wego was the best in all aspects. Even with a polypropylene Monacor. The Wego is cleaner, more natural and soft.

Then i found other "Elko glatt" - ROE, ERO, Intertechnik, Frako, F&T. The have the same sonic performance! With a very-very small difference. But all of them are "Elko Glatt Made in Germany".
What is the secret - i duno. But it seems like Germans knew something...

PS: It will be interesting to compare them with some mega-priced audiophile caps. Maybe someone do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.