First experience with Mod Podge - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2008, 12:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First experience with Mod Podge

Mod Podge is a puzzle coat glue. It took me a while realize they meant real puzzles.

And not long ago Dave or P10 said that the Mod Podge is a good base for Enabling.

Well I got out one of my 50 centers (bargain speakers from Pioneer) and brush and used the stuff straight out of the jar. I got it smoothed out but there looks to be plenty of brush strokes.

Earlier, using the Damar Varnish went a lot smoother because it is more dilute. With these tests it's hard to know how to proceed.

I also bought a router. Don't know how to use it but I always wanted one. It will be slow going.
Old 17th November 2008, 02:16 AM   #2
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

You don't want to use the mod podge straight. This is a reply to me from dave on how to cut the mod podge.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...93#post1418193

BR
Old 17th November 2008, 02:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was able to use the search here after doing the job. That gave the info about making a 50 percent cut to the puzzlecoat stuff.

My bad.

I'll still try the unit out to see if it plays anything.

There was also mention in the search about Micro Gloss which I never tracker very closely over the time reading here.

Thanks for answering.

Search should be the normal thing to do first but I've had very mixed results finding anything useful with it.

On this search I did mod podge in the main with 'dilute' in the boolean argument. That turned up a few things.

No big loss for the treated unit. Having some sacrificial pieces is beneficial for learning.
Old 17th November 2008, 03:16 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
Micro Gloss
Used on top of the EnABL

dave
Old 17th November 2008, 03:18 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

50% probably makes the PK too runny. It is hard to specify an exact mix because ever bottle i open has a different consistency... thin with purish water (or food colouring) until it is about the consistency of transmission fluid.

dave
Old 17th November 2008, 05:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well glue is glue (rather than varnish). I wonder if thinning actually
ever gets the stuff smoothe.

This one I have made is quite textured. I have no idea if the treatment will give a good or bad effect. I'll put it in something tomorrow-- prob'ly BIB jr. the 30 in one made for this driver.
Old 19th November 2008, 04:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting on Pipe Dreams

Pipe Dreams is an organ recital on PRI.

I used to listen to it broadcast but now can only get it on stream.

I used the mod podged and heavily textured Pioneer in the Bib Jr.
to listen to Pipe Dreams which emphasizes a lot of low material.

Didn't ply very loud but no damage done to the Pioneer from
lathering on the mod pdge.

I redid the process today on another experimental Pioneer
which was first treated with Damar. After thinning the mod podge, I laid a layer of that over the varnish just to see if it covered with less brush stroke. The brush pattern is much minimized but I don't really know how far to take that. This Pioneer has the additional mod of a couple basket legs removed to improve the backwave.

Sooner or later I will have Super Driver (tm) with all the mods.

No EnAbl yet.

What is this Micro Gloss stuff? Is that the real expensive product some were looking high and low for?
Old 19th November 2008, 02:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to musgofasa
Default Re: First experience with Mod Podge

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
Mod Podge is a puzzle coat glue. It took me a while realize they meant real puzzles.

And not long ago Dave or P10 said that the Mod Podge is a good base for Enabling.

Well I got out one of my 50 centers (bargain speakers from Pioneer) and brush and used the stuff straight out of the jar. I got it smoothed out but there looks to be plenty of brush strokes.

Earlier, using the Damar Varnish went a lot smoother because it is more dilute. With these tests it's hard to know how to proceed.

I also bought a router. Don't know how to use it but I always wanted one. It will be slow going.
Lon!
The router is one of my favorite tools now. Since I bought mine I have used it for all sorts of stuff. The sad thing is that it taught me that I am not nearly as steady handed as I wish I were. Now I am looking at either buying or building a CNC machine to run the router. I wouldn't bother, but I am working towards making something in a more or less "production" environment and I don't think using the router by hand or even with a template will produce the same results as the CNC.

Good luck with the Enabl process. I am still being the fence sitter here. Not because I don't think it works, but because I don't trust myself not to screw it up lol.

Keep up the good work!

Robert
Old 19th November 2008, 03:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

After all these years i still haven't gotten a digital camera to show pix.
But I've been satisfied with a few of the projects I've made -- though not furniture or craftsman grade.

My motto: you don't listen to furniture.

Hide this!Advertise here!