Need some suggestions on what to build. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2008, 08:01 PM   #11
g-horn is offline g-horn  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree with the Fostex FE206E driver selection. Excellent sound for the money. (They list for about $120 CDN.) Why not try it in a Voigt pipe. They are really easy to build and they will sound great now with your amp - and even better when you get an SET amp.

Cheers,
Mal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voight pipe.jpg (78.0 KB, 331 views)
Old 16th November 2008, 08:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Voigt (no 'h': P.G.A.H Voigt). The Lowther Club of Norway cabinet pictured above is not an optimal cabinet as-is. Volume & tuning will be severely mis-matched to the AN drivers (as they are with Fostex drivers, Lowther drivers, Coral drivers, Creati... you get the idea). Harmonic ripple is also relatively high. A tapped / tapped, mass loaded conical horn is perfectly viable, but it would be better to use one actually designed for the driver in question.

The HC cabinet should do passably, although the high Vas of the AN driver will reduce LF output from the stock enclosure. IIRC Jim, your circuit is working more as a shelving filter for the driver's own response than in reducing step-loss; the box itself largely corrects for that.
Old 17th November 2008, 01:04 AM   #13
morphon is offline morphon  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies!

Allow me a few followups...

@Davecan - I can spend as much as I want, but just around 40-50 bucks a month. So, getting some building materials and working on them for a few weekends, then buying some drivers, running those for a while, then getting some nice binding posts, then springing for some veneer.... Or I could mount some drivers in an open baffle and start building the enclosure... you get the idea.

@lousymusician - I looked at the BoFu, but was put off by the paper cone/whizzer setup (and the 17khz top end). Does it sound good? So many paper drivers in inexpensive speakers sound... well, papery. Most of the full-range drivers I've seen recommended have all sorts of "exotic" materials (bamboo fiber, hemp, special coatings, etc...). But if you all think the paper is competitive, then cool. I noticed that some of the designs on Frugal-Horn can interchange the Pioneers with Fostex 206e, which seems like it would make a nice upgrade path. That said, I have a pair of single-driver near-field monitors that use unadorned paper drivers and sound pretty amazing, so maybe I shouldn't be seduced by the bamboo. :-)

You brought up sealed enclosures... I haven't seen any calculators for those. Do I need to be worried about internal shape, wadding, or primarily just cubic feet of volume? Also, a sealed enclosure seems about as easy to build as one of those BIB boxes. Should I be worried that a BIB-style enclosure will be too boomy/boxy for the heavy metal?

@Jim Shearer - I like that half Chang. Is there some reason to forgo the big G Chang? Are the half Changs easier to build? Or are you worried that the big one will overwhelm my modest room?

@Scottmoose - I'm interested in building something that I don't have to do heavy EQ or electronic methods of getting flat response, so putting the nix on some of the enclosures is very helpful.

@everyone - Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement! I'll probably order something after Thanksgiving and get started. If anyone has other suggestions, keep 'em coming. :-)
Old 17th November 2008, 01:59 AM   #14
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Morphon,
Many good suggestions here... The way I suggested will be a fair bit more $$$ than just a pair of 206's but well worth it I think. I wouldn't think you would want to upgrade for a long long time... Not sure on the tweet??, but I linked the usual suspect (I think) that is used by some to get an idea of your over all cost.... The 208 and tweet in one of Scott's recommended cabs, with a bit of final tweaking, should give you some very nice sound that you may never feel to upgrade from.. Plus if you ever decide to try a tube amp for your 2 channel music listening your all set ... Myself ,I've decided to save up for a pair of GPA 604's or 212's after much researching and deciding on my final drivers for years to come... Dave

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=275
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=295

GPA
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/two_way.html
Old 17th November 2008, 04:05 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Morphon,

I didn't do the full double horn Chang because:
1) I heard the HC w/ FE206e and liked it so much
2) I don't think my daughter would have liked the size & appearance of the full Chang

I may one day try a double horn Chang--probably w/ the FE167 (which is a Chili Chang IIRC.)

Cheers, Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!