Tang Band W4-1320SC 4" Bamboo Cone Driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2008, 02:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Band W4-1320SC 4" Bamboo Cone Driver

Geewizzercone, these Tang Bands seem like an interesting little speaker at a low cost.

Tang Band W4-1320SC 4" Bamboo Cone Driver $30

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ewRand=7159372
Old 11th November 2008, 02:32 AM   #2
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Do a search you will find many have use them before and found these drivers to be quite good. I would have bought them myself if I live in the States.

Notice the spl is close to 90dB which is a big plus. Use them in parallel bipole config, and you will have a nice pair of speakers, efficient as well.
Old 11th November 2008, 03:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default I'm using them.............

It depends on how you use them.............

I love them..........
so does my wife.............
But I use them weirdly..............

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=24436482

With the qts .37 and Fs = 75hz (if they test near manu spec)........A .3ft3 port with 2 drivers, you can tune to 81hz giving you a f3 of 85hz..................

I use 2 divers in a large sealed box (qtc .45) because I'm using a 12" below them and want to approach open baffle mids quality................

The box is 8" wide and 13" tall.................

I need to play with baffle step.

Funny how the equations matched up exactly to my real life needs.

Playing with a 10 band eq, I needed +3db at 125hz, 250hz, and 500hz...........That filled in the mids nicely..............

Crossing them passively may be a pain due to impedance spikes close to crossover points due to box alignment.................

I'll link to my long review when the full range driver forum is up again.

Norman
Old 11th November 2008, 01:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaaudio.com/tb-1320-bamboo.htm

I've been enjoying mine for a few years now. They are great overall but when i listen critically sometimes male vocals have a slight nasal or stuffed up nose quality. Treble is clean but i extend it with a piezo on the rear. Certainly they are better values when on sale. Bass is deeper and fuller but not better than a Fostex 127e IMO. It has a less exciting, more laid back sound than the Fostex.
Old 11th November 2008, 07:48 PM   #5
KCHANG is offline KCHANG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default They are very good on OB

I used them on open baffles (pretty big at 32"x48") augmented with a sub for bass, and I liked that setup better than some other OB projects using more expensive 4"-5" fullrange drivers. IMO these drivers on OB sounded more "enjoyable," with better apparent clarity and dynamics, than Fostex FX120 and Jordan JX92S in similar OB arrangements. I did not hear any significant congestion or nasal sound in voices with those drivers on OB, but I did feel sometimes that they were a bit on the bright side. I'll highly recommend them to anyone who wants to build a very cheep and very simple but very very good OB system.

I have five of these 4" bamboo cone drivers, and now I use them (in ported boxes) as my home theatre speakers. For stereo I now listen to ToneTubby 8" guitar drivers plus two 15" woofers on each OB.

Cheers,

Kurt
Old 12th November 2008, 03:24 AM   #6
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: They are very good on OB

Quote:
Originally posted by KCHANG
For stereo I now listen to ToneTubby 8" guitar drivers plus two 15" woofers on each OB.

Cheers,

Kurt
BTW what do you use for the high frequency drivers?

I heard from a few sources that the Tone Tubby makes good mid ranger, may it be ceramic or alnico, can you describe what kind of midranger sound you get from these drivers. I strongly suspect it is the hempcone material that determines/dominates the sound quality, it has a fully sound than rather a thinner sound from the cheaper full ranger like FE167E.
Old 12th November 2008, 03:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I got a pair of W3-1364 for an artificial voice project and was so impressed, I bought a half dozen. Here's a pair doing corner cab duty in the kitchen.
Bass is outrageous (for a 2.5" driver)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kornerkab1.jpg (34.0 KB, 717 views)
Old 12th November 2008, 04:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Has anyone compared them with the little brother "W3-1364" ? I got these and they sound very good. Very low distortion. The little brother is warm-sounding, perhaps due to 2nd harmonics.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2008, 07:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

KCHANG
Good to know, I'm about to put 2 of them (4" bamboos) on 1 open baffle 2' wide, 3' tall (will sit on a 2' wide bass).........their mass corner is around 200hz infinite baffle....................

The drivers are vertically stacked, the center between them is 9.2" from the left, 14.8" from the right, and 24" from the top. Notice the .618 : 1 : 1.618 ratio.....................

2' from front wall, how low do you think this will go (-3db) ?

I'm also running a woofer with it............. I can run active crossover at 200hz (but that thing sounds really bad), or add a 10 band eq then make a baffle step circuit if the open baffle needs help to get to 200hz..............

What ya think ????????????????

Norman
Old 12th November 2008, 05:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Norman, are you doing anything about comb filtering? I asked over at fullrangedriver.com but see they are down.

A friend recently got scammed on a set of $1000 white van speakers and i am trying to make something from them for him using 3" TB drivers. They almost fit into the holes and with some filing i think i can get them in so the grill cover fits. They are an MTM and sound terrible. Replacing with cheap 3" paper TBs (model 319S) the sound is much better but treble has a very swirly sound to it that i think is comb filtering. One driver alone does not produce this swirly sound (nor does my B20 + cheap piezo) but there is less output overall and my friend likes quantity over quality it seems.

Are you running both drivers full? If so, do you hear the swirly treble? Your drivers are much closer together than the MTM white van speakers. There the TBs are over 12 inches apart and may be causing the comb filter swirly sound.

LOL.
Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!