Chilli Chang review/mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay so this might be subtitled raise your horns?"

6-8 weeks ago I was sick and spent a miserable few days in bed and decided I needed a small system for the bedroom. The only bit of kit I needed was a set of speakers and I had a pair of FE167's hanging around so I built Scott and Dave's Chilli Changs.

I've been running them for a few weeks now but held off posting as I was disappointed with them and found this very odd as I have a lot of faith in this pairs work and the guys don't publish bad designs - so I knew it must be something I'd done.

So what was wrong - well firstly what's good about them - well almost everything - image - voice - clarity etc etc. What I missed was any semblance of bass - it was there - kinda - but not enough "gain/volume" only on over bassy recordings did it shine. I'd on purposely over stuffed the chamber and eventually removed all of it, which helped the mids.

Then yesterday I added stabiliser legs and spikes for my carpet - POW WOW - what a different speaker - bass by the bucket loads (all in the right place). Chilli Changs are a great design guys.

Now I know stability and coupling have a big part to play in a speakers performance but would like to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

Probably a question for Scott - how low are the Chilli's designed to go - I'm really happy with their new performance but would be interested to Know.

Cheers - Phil
Build and review - http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html

Attachments

• chillis_06.jpg
    chillis_06.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 4,236
+

Hi,
I fully agree with you. I built the BK16 kit form Madisound. Of course they sounded great, but I was missing couple of things - bass and wider sweet spot. I got the phase plugs form Dave (Thanks@) and I got a wider sweet spot.
Before that I put 3 spikes under each speaker. Like you said the improvement was a fact. I could not believe my ears:bigeyes:
I have one advice for you. You are better off having 3 spikes under each speaker. 3 points always make a plane.
Here are some pics:

Re: +

neutravlad said:
I have one advice for you. You are better off having 3 spikes under each speaker. 3 points always make a plane.
Here are some pics:

Hi Neu - yep agree about 3 but the spikes/legs were just a quick and easy job.

holdent said:
I'd be interested in hearing how the Chilli Chang sounds compared to the ML TQWT you built earlier (shown on your site).

Hi Ted - I sold the ML TQWT (boxes) on, they were just a tad too big in footprint. I certainly liked them but found the Chilli's finally more impressive all round and now certainly more bass. Not bad for a smaller footprint and same height!

lazyfly said:
I wonder what your impressions are when you compare the Chang to the Frugal-Horn? I see the FH's were for someone else but you had a good listen right?

Oh yes - first clause of any commission - "Phil gets first play/audition"

I really think we are looking at two completely different beast here and both are first class.

Frugal are little (but complex) animals, with a suprabaffle give a much larger sound stage than you'd expect. The FE126e is a great driver with beautiful voicing. If properly corner loaded punch well above their weight for bass. BUT position is everything with them and I'd probably be more happy to have them in a smaller?? room.

The Chilli's - well obviously give a "larger" sound and with those double horns one of my mates said if he closed his eyes he couldn't work out where the drivers were! - almost line array effect. Now I have the bass functioning properly there's more than enough without to much worry about positioning. This is the best I've heard the FE167e's sound.

I've had the Chilli's in the shed undercoating them today and will put the top coats on Wed/Thur but am getting anxious - I miss them already.

greenie512 said:
<SNIP>
I've been running them for a few weeks now but held off posting as I was disappointed with them and found this very odd as I have a lot of faith in this pairs work and the guys don't publish bad designs - so I knew it must be something I'd done.

<SNIP>
Then yesterday I added stabiliser legs and spikes for my carpet - POW WOW - what a different speaker - bass by the bucket loads (all in the right place). Chilli Changs are a great design guys.

<SNIP>
Cheers - Phil
Build and review - http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html

I've heard Phil's Chilli's before and after the legs & spikes.
"Before" they were quite underwhelming. Bass lacking. No zap. Lifeless.
"After" they are what I expected to hear the first time. Good amounts of bass, though not what you'd get from (say) an 8" driver.

To anyone who hasn't tried the feet ... do it!

cheers

Doug

Thanks for that greenie. It's great to read about positive experiences, especially comments like yours, "I miss them already" :)

Mostly because I understand physics about as well as I understand women, I still get amazed by how such a simple thing as floor coupling can affect a speaker! Now if we could only couple women to the floor, in another room, at the opposite end of the house... wait, that doesn't sound right :/

lazyfly said:
Thanks for that greenie. It's great to read about positive experiences, especially comments like yours, "I miss them already" :)

Mostly because I understand physics about as well as I understand women, I still get amazed by how such a simple thing as floor coupling can affect a speaker! Now if we could only couple women to the floor, in another room, at the opposite end of the house... wait, that doesn't sound right :/

you know, there's a place on Hollywood Boulevard, where you can get coupled to the floor, for $20

Cone treatment

I'm about to speak before I research ….

I remember seeing Dave mention Dammar as part of his cone treatment and I stopped in front of a crafts shop this afternoon so went in and bought some + refined turps. Before I attack the FE167's do you think they'll improve if I treat the cones with a 50/50 mix?

Yes I'll probably get Dave's phase plugs at some later date for them as well!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cone treatment

greenie512 said:
on Dammar as part of his cone treatment ... FE167

I don't use damar on FE167. I have used damar on some whizzer cones. Limited experience but i did get more top from a couple that had falling off HF.

On 167s i'm doing 2 thinned coats of puzzlekoat (mod podge). This can also be considered pretreatment for EnABL.

dave

Re: Re: Cone treatment

planet10 said:
I don't use damar on FE167. I have used damar on some whizzer cones. Limited experience but i did get more top from a couple that had falling off HF.

On 167s i'm doing 2 thinned coats of puzzlekoat (mod podge). This can also be considered pretreatment for EnABL -

Opps - got that wrong - yep was going to progress to EnABL.

Do you think I'll totally knacker the driver if I use a Dammar mix?? I'm happy to abort this idea as I'd hate to loose the driver.

Cheers - Phil

Well Chilli's back in the house sooner than I planned. Two undercoats but only one top coat - due to my compressor telling me in no uncertain terms my temporary wiring has been to permanent and it's time to get a professional to do a decent job.

As tradies are as rare (and costly) as hens teeth these days that may take a while so moved the boxes back into the house.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Godzilla said:
Neato! Yeah, stuffing can make or break everything. Cool spikes too.
I totally agree with this!
A few days ago I added some more stuffing in my BIBs and the sound changed dramatically. They sound more detailed and clear.
I'd like to do some more experiments with stuffing.... as I think I overstuffed them! But it was the only way not to hear anything above 300Hz.
Yes, I followed your plans in your website. Thanks for the info! Nice stuff!

Greenie,
Nice Cheelies! Did you add any bracing in them?
What kind of stuffing did you use?
I'm planning to build the Chilli Changs too! ...or the G Changs?!
I'm not sure yet....
Any pics during the construction?

maze's BIB's photos ?

myster_maze said:

I totally agree with this!
A few days ago I added some more stuffing in my BIBs and the sound changed dramatically. They sound more detailed and clear.
I'd like to do some more experiments with stuffing.... as I think I overstuffed them! But it was the only way not to hear anything above 300Hz.
Yes, I followed your plans in your website. Thanks for the info! Nice stuff!

Greenie,
Nice Cheelies! Did you add any bracing in them?
What kind of stuffing did you use?
I'm planning to build the Chilli Changs too! ...or the G Changs?!
I'm not sure yet....
Any pics during the construction?

How about your BIB's photos George ? I'm sure they look and sound amazing with the 168EZ.
Regards,
George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.