Which Fostex is this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for those photos BHTX, They' re just like the ones I've got. I mounted them in a 6 litre vented enclosure that was lying around from a previous experiment and the result is promising. The bottom end is quite pronounced and a bit woofy, They might work better in a sealed box. the mids are fine. The top end is nothing to write home about, and would benefit from a tweeter maybe?but they're OK. Now if someone knows exactly what they are I will be able to make the right box for them and then I think they are a proposition.

planet10 said:
An early ceramic magnet FE103

dave

Is this another ceramic "103"?
(It's from a Sony R2R)

cheers

Doug

Attachments

• ceramic 103 1.jpg
    ceramic 103 1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 178
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brisso57 said:
I've not heard this one. Are the ceramic 103's comparable sonically to the alnico series?
ie Should I bother buying and trying? or stick to alnico?

The big magnet ceramics are comparable to the alnico & the modern equivalents. The smaller magnet drivers are good, but not to the same level.

Compared to the FE103c above, the entire magnet on yours is a bit less in diameter than the top-plate and yours will have a thinner chunk of ceramic.

I probably have 30-some of this class (many with stiff surround syndrome (SSS)), and haven't figured anything to do with them.

If they are cheap ($20/pr) then might be worthwhile if you are in need of a decent "utility" speaker

The sony RTR speakers that are real standouts are alnico Foster FE127A and the 8 ohm holey basket Coral 103A variant.

dave

Attachments

• fe103-classmates.jpg
    fe103-classmates.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 145
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.