Fostex FE103E... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Fostex FE103E...

I know this is a little bit out of the norm for this section of the forum, but I promise this thread is focused around the "Full Range" driver topic.

I am designing/building a fully active 3-way system for my vehicle consisting of 4 - 12" shallow mount Pioneer TS-SW3041D subs in small 0.5cf sealed enclosures, 2 - 6.5" Rainbow Germanium W165 midbass drivers (one per front door), and a pair of Fostex FE103E drivers for the dash location.

This system is strictly an SQ system, will not have a single passive crossover network, and will not have any tweeters, hence the reason for going with the FE103E's.

The crossover points will roughly be 50-60Hz for the subs, the midbasses will be from 50-60Hz to 250-400Hz, and the Fostex's will be from 250-400Hz on up.

Anyway, I was just wanting to get an idea on how these new Fostex FE103E drivers stack up against the old original classics and if anyone here has ever tried them in an auto sound system before.

I would really like to hear what Planet10 has to say about these newest drivers since he seems to have a LOT of knowledge about them as well as their history. However, I also would like to hear from anyone else who has experience with this particular driver.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 1st November 2008, 05:53 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like a good application for the FF85 instead of FE103...

dave
Old 1st November 2008, 10:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's it?! No reason? No answer to my original question?

Gee, thanks for nothing.
Old 1st November 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I like your open baffle project with eq!
Old 1st November 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chops
That's it?! No reason? No answer to my original question?
Busy.

FF85 goes higher, fits in a smaller space. downside is it needs to be XOed above 250. you also loose a couple dB

FE103e, i've not yet seen one so no comment.

dave
Old 1st November 2008, 10:33 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Has anyone else used any of the Fostex FR series for car audio installations?

I'd be concerned about the long term reliability of the drivers - car audio is an often brutal physical environment, and even with the best intentions, diligence, and espoused criteria of "quality" vs SPL, systems often get operated well beyond their safe operating area.

Having said that, as Dave suggested, take a look at the FF85K - they work very well crossed over in the region you're proposing.
Old 1st November 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Busy.

FF85 goes higher, fits in a smaller space. downside is it needs to be XOed above 250. you also loose a couple dB

FE103e, i've not yet seen one so no comment.

dave
Sorry. I guess I jumped the gun a little too soon. I apologize.

As for fitment, the FE103E will fit perfectly without modification. 250Hz wouldn't be a problem since I will not be crossing any lower than that anyway, and most likely closer to 350-400Hz.

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
Has anyone else used any of the Fostex FR series for car audio installations?

I'd be concerned about the long term reliability of the drivers - car audio is an often brutal physical environment, and even with the best intentions, diligence, and espoused criteria of "quality" vs SPL, systems often get operated well beyond their safe operating area.

Having said that, as Dave suggested, take a look at the FF85K - they work very well crossed over in the region you're proposing.

I should have mentioned in my first post that the front stage drivers have all already been purchased and on their way to me.

The only thing that really concerns me is heat and UV exposure with the FE103E. I'm going to tint the entire windshield with a very light but UV proof 3M film, so that may help some as far as UV exposure is concerned. I'll just have to take my chances with the heat. Maybe it will harm them, maybe it won't. Who knows. Thankfully, these drivers are only 39 bucks each.

My vehicle is already fairly quiet on the inside, even at highway speeds. I will be adding some more deadening on top of that, so that will help even more. As it is, I can comfortably listen to the stock system at low volumes at speed and hear everything clearly, so I'm not too concerned about the whole "SPL" thing.
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:11 AM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fair enough, Charles. You might want to PM Dave regarding treatment for the 103's. Even short of the full polka-dot routine, there are some tricks that could well be translatable from his work on the FE127.

Once again, for future projects, consider the FF85K - a real sleeper.
Old 2nd November 2008, 11:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Busy.

dave

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
Once again, for future projects, consider the FF85K - a real sleeper.

Between the two of you, what exactly makes the FF85K a better driver than the FE103E?

As I've already stated, size and fitment isn't an issue as long as I don't go any bigger or deeper than the FE103E. But with the FF85K being smaller, it also is less efficient and handles less power.

BTW, just because I have the FE103E's coming doesn't mean I can't swap them out later for the FF85K's if I want to. I can always use the FE103E's at home for fun.

And Dave, I am very surprised that you don't have any experience with the FE103E's yet!
Old 4th November 2008, 12:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Anyone?

Just wanting some insight since these are the first full range drivers I've ever bought.

Hide this!Advertise here!