Fostex FE103E...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is a little bit out of the norm for this section of the forum, but I promise this thread is focused around the "Full Range" driver topic.

I am designing/building a fully active 3-way system for my vehicle consisting of 4 - 12" shallow mount Pioneer TS-SW3041D subs in small 0.5cf sealed enclosures, 2 - 6.5" Rainbow Germanium W165 midbass drivers (one per front door), and a pair of Fostex FE103E drivers for the dash location.

This system is strictly an SQ system, will not have a single passive crossover network, and will not have any tweeters, hence the reason for going with the FE103E's.

The crossover points will roughly be 50-60Hz for the subs, the midbasses will be from 50-60Hz to 250-400Hz, and the Fostex's will be from 250-400Hz on up.

Anyway, I was just wanting to get an idea on how these new Fostex FE103E drivers stack up against the old original classics and if anyone here has ever tried them in an auto sound system before.

I would really like to hear what Planet10 has to say about these newest drivers since he seems to have a LOT of knowledge about them as well as their history. However, I also would like to hear from anyone else who has experience with this particular driver.

Many thanks in advance!

Has anyone else used any of the Fostex FR series for car audio installations?

I'd be concerned about the long term reliability of the drivers - car audio is an often brutal physical environment, and even with the best intentions, diligence, and espoused criteria of "quality" vs SPL, systems often get operated well beyond their safe operating area.

Having said that, as Dave suggested, take a look at the FF85K - they work very well crossed over in the region you're proposing.

planet10 said:

Busy.

FF85 goes higher, fits in a smaller space. downside is it needs to be XOed above 250. you also loose a couple dB

FE103e, i've not yet seen one so no comment.

dave

Sorry. I guess I jumped the gun a little too soon. I apologize.

As for fitment, the FE103E will fit perfectly without modification. 250Hz wouldn't be a problem since I will not be crossing any lower than that anyway, and most likely closer to 350-400Hz.

chrisb said:
Has anyone else used any of the Fostex FR series for car audio installations?

I'd be concerned about the long term reliability of the drivers - car audio is an often brutal physical environment, and even with the best intentions, diligence, and espoused criteria of "quality" vs SPL, systems often get operated well beyond their safe operating area.

Having said that, as Dave suggested, take a look at the FF85K - they work very well crossed over in the region you're proposing.

I should have mentioned in my first post that the front stage drivers have all already been purchased and on their way to me.

The only thing that really concerns me is heat and UV exposure with the FE103E. I'm going to tint the entire windshield with a very light but UV proof 3M film, so that may help some as far as UV exposure is concerned. I'll just have to take my chances with the heat. Maybe it will harm them, maybe it won't. Who knows. Thankfully, these drivers are only 39 bucks each.

My vehicle is already fairly quiet on the inside, even at highway speeds. I will be adding some more deadening on top of that, so that will help even more. As it is, I can comfortably listen to the stock system at low volumes at speed and hear everything clearly, so I'm not too concerned about the whole "SPL" thing.

Fair enough, Charles. You might want to PM Dave regarding treatment for the 103's. Even short of the full polka-dot routine, there are some tricks that could well be translatable from his work on the FE127.

Once again, for future projects, consider the FF85K - a real sleeper.

planet10 said:

Busy.

FF85 goes higher, fits in a smaller space. downside is it needs to be XOed above 250. you also loose a couple dB

dave

chrisb said:
Once again, for future projects, consider the FF85K - a real sleeper.

Between the two of you, what exactly makes the FF85K a better driver than the FE103E?

As I've already stated, size and fitment isn't an issue as long as I don't go any bigger or deeper than the FE103E. But with the FF85K being smaller, it also is less efficient and handles less power.

BTW, just because I have the FE103E's coming doesn't mean I can't swap them out later for the FF85K's if I want to. I can always use the FE103E's at home for fun. :D

And Dave, I am very surprised that you don't have any experience with the FE103E's yet!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chops said:
Between the two of you, what exactly makes the FF85K a better driver than the FE103E?

And Dave, I am very surprised that you don't have any experience with the FE103E's yet!

For this kind of application (ie mid-tweeter) ... goes higher (better than 25k vrs maybe 15k) and smaller cone tends to do midrange better. Needs a smaller enclosure (no advantage in your situation). You do give away about 3 dB.

No FE103es since i haven't seen any point with the FE127 only a tiny bit more expensive.

dave

planet10 said:

For this kind of application (ie mid-tweeter) ... goes higher (better than 25k vrs maybe 15k) and smaller cone tends to do midrange better. Needs a smaller enclosure (no advantage in your situation). You do give away about 3 dB.

No FE103es since i haven't seen any point with the FE127 only a tiny bit more expensive.

dave

Well, if the FE103E doesn't work well in my system, I will get the FF85K. No harm done. Thanks!

Speaking of FE103E's...

p17429871-4.jpg

p494954162-4.jpg

And just for fun, here's one of two little 2.5" full range drivers out of an LCD TV. I'm thinking of making a couple of small PVC enclosures for them, just for the heck of it, just to see how they sound. They're a rather robust little speaker I might add! If anyone has any info on them, that would be great!

p486778955-4.jpg

p442814206-4.jpg

p387883885-4.jpg

Just a quick update...

I decided to hook these little drivers up to my unmodified, original Sonic Impact T-amp last night to get a few hours in on them. I know it's cheesy, but I have them mounted in cardboard boxes. One is in a total of 0.180cf and the other in 0.198cf., both as sealed as can be. In each one, I have 2 pairs of loosely placed socks (LOL) to add a little damping to them. It honestly helped out a lot! They are connected to the amp via Stout-Interconnects' Extreme Speaker Cable.

At any rate, I've had them running constantly since last night with 5 different pipe organ CD's in an old CD changer I've had sitting around. When I was home during lunch, I turned the volume up just a tad bit, then went back to work.

When I got home from work tonight, I decided to hook my iPhone up to the T-amp and play some Pandora through them. They have improved tremendously, not to mention that I can totally see the great possibilities with these little guys! Even in these cardboard boxes, they have surprisingly punchy, detailed bass that's digging deeper than I had expected, in cardboard boxes that is.

Of course, midrange and treble is just as good, if not a little better. The treble is zippy and crisp enough to not need a tweeter, and sounds just about as good off-axis as they do on-axis. The midrange is very good at pulling out the subtle details. It can fluctuate a bit in tonal character in the midrange, but I'm sure that's because they are still brand new drivers and the fact that they are in a cardboard box. However, most of the time, the midrange sounds very natural and very very clear.

For the past few hours I've been listening to a bunch of old 80's music like Genesis, U2, Sting, The Cure, etc, etc. Now I just switched over to some jazz, blues and big band stuff like Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Harry Connick, Jr., etc, etc...

I'm really impressed with these FE103E's in their current state. I can only imagine what they would sound like in proper enclosures! I'm pretty darn sure that these are going to stay in the house and I'll be getting another pair for my vehicle. As it is, they are coming up on 27 hours of constant break-in, so they can only get better from here.

I'm off tomorrow, so I think I might try a little larger cardboard boxes, but this time ported, just for fun. I've got a few other projects going at the moment, so building actual enclosures for these will have to be put on the back burner for a short while. In the meantime, I'm enjoying listening to them as is! LOL

the fact that the FE126/7E aren't much more expensive & are rather more flexible, while the 3in drivers (83/5/7) have better mids & HF, leaving the FE103/7E out in the cold somewhat.

You may well be correct.
My take on it would be to get all of your referenced drivers and pick your poison (enclosure) and then listen to them all and then judge on your points of interest (I like tone).
The FE126 is okay but despite all the glowing reports I have read I would not put it in the class of the FE103E, of course thats just my opinion with my ears.

I have been advised by some of our brothers in the East to try the 3" drivers, particularly the FF85K and FF83E, particularly in Swans.
Being a fan of the Swan myself, (FE108E and FE103 variants) I may just try a pair of the "3's".
I also got a recommended BH (not Swan) for the FE83E although he says the FF85K will be even better in the same enclosure.

Andrewbee said:

They will only get better with time.
One of the great drivers of all times imo. They have a cult following in Japan but in the West not much attention for them. Maybe its because they are so small or cheap or plain or ....

I just read somewhere last night during a Google search that the FE103 has a "cult" following. Maybe it's because of the price vs performance ratio. Sure, it has its flaws, but it also has plenty of strengths that I think out way the flaws, like the slightly forward upper midrange that I'm noticing. Then again, they are still breaking in, about 39 hours now.

Scottmoose said:
...the fact that the FE126/7E aren't much more expensive & are rather more flexible, while the 3in drivers (83/5/7) have better mids & HF, leaving the FE103/7E out in the cold somewhat. Not that I'm suggesting it's a bad driver -just that it's a victim of circumstance.

Have any of you actually heard the newest FE103E drivers or are you basing your views off of the older models? I only ask because these new ones have some rather good treble, on and off axis. Maybe it has something to do with the new dust cover design?

I notice that it sticks out a bit further than the old dust covers used to. Maybe it's acting somewhat like a phase plug?

Andrewbee said:

You may well be correct.
My take on it would be to get all of your referenced drivers and pick your poison (enclosure) and then listen to them all and then judge on your points of interest (I like tone).
The FE126 is okay but despite all the glowing reports I have read I would not put it in the class of the FE103E, of course thats just my opinion with my ears.

At the prices of these drivers, there's no reason why I should just stop here with the FE103E. I want to get some more a little later down the road and experiment with them. For the longest time, I always wanted to build a Voight Pipe, and this would be a perfect opportunity to do so.

Just curious... Are you saying that you prefer the FE103E over the FE126?

Scottmoose said:
I gather the Flamingo is supposed to be a good box for the 3in units. As it happens, I'll be running a pair of 3in Visaton drivers myself at some point soon in my own parabolic horn (yes, I did say parabolic. Yes, I am certifiable) for a small bedroom system.

Swan, Flamingo... I take it these are different horn designs and not actual brands or models of some other loudspeakers?

Also, I have done some searching on parabolic horns and can't seem to find anything about their actual design. Any pointers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.