Cain&Cain Abby clone? (ML-TQWT??)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that the Qts of 0.21 for the FE-166E is too low for a ML TQWT, I would recommend the FE-167E. If you use the FE-166E the bass will be very weak. The Qts for the FE-167E is 0.31 according to the Fostex data sheets. The FE-164 also had a spec Qts value of 0.31 but I measured them to be closer to 0.35. The FE-167E is a much closer match for a replacement driver for my ML TQWT enclosure design.

Martin,
Thanks for the advice.
Thats even better, the FE-167E is shielded.

And it isn't that expensive, $63 usd per driver at madisound. I think its around $120 cdn at Solen.

Considering I need no crossovers or other drivers than this one.

Francois,
Any ideas how high the Abby is? They say the driver is at 39" height, and by looking at the pics I'd estimate the height to be 73".

Thank you MJK, we appreciate your expertise. I will follow your advice on the driver.

I am more interested to clone the appearance and use a well known (and simulated) design (especially from you). This is a good start to learn about these kind of loudspeaker.

Ilianh, Solen sell them for 120$ CAD. That's not so bad to appreciate the sound of a full range driver in a TL.

The speakers was a bit taller than me so I guess it is around 70-75''.

What do you guys think of that? I played a bit with Mr.King's ML TQWT mathcad sheets and I think this looks somehow good. Its the FE-167E driver.

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,093
Hi Ilianh,

Those sims look very promising! Three comments :

1) The slight peak at the bottom will not be as pronounced in reality. The MathCad model does not account for the seperation between the driver and the port so some additional phase shift will exist rounding this little nasty off.

2) That is a very tall ML TQWT. If you were to make the port a little longer you might be able to reduce the height. I like the 4" diameter port you are using, it will greatly reduce the possibility of any port noise (I have not noticed any in my 3" diameter ports but it is better safe then sorry).

3) Please call me Martin, Mr. King is my dad. My kids make me feel old enough as it is so please refer to my dad as Mr. King and me as Martin. 8^).........

Hope that helps,

Martin,
Thanks for those comments on the sims,
I was wondering about the slight peak, but you answered my question before I even asked :)
Also, your right about the size, I'll try to make it 60".

Francois,
Nice, you are doing all the work for me. It will be important to measure the drivers before finalizing the design to be sure to get the most accurate dimensions, stuffing, etc.

Of course, thats important.
I need to make myself a Speakerworshop jig and to aquire the drivers.

All I need now is.. money.. :(
Otherwise I'd have the drivers now :)

And I'm wondering, whats would be better for this project? hardwood? (cedar?) or MDF? I think hardwood looks way better than MDF/veneer.

The original loudspeaker is using hardwood. I have looked at Réno-Dépôt and this can be pretty expensive if you use hardwood and there is no place for error. 3/4'' x 10'' x 8' is around 25$. I guess you need 8, so 200$. This is a rough estimate...

I guess its worth it ;)

But I dont think for the front and rear panels 10" wide would be enough, or if it is, the whole thing has to be deeper (more than 10" deep) , in order to make a 7xSD (930 cm^2) base.
Is there wider hardwood boards? I'll check in the Rona near my place.

I have never seen 4'x8' hardwood panels, so maybe another alternative could be some high quality (marine grade?) plywood(oregon pine?). Ever seen any?

No, 10'' is the maximum. More than that you have to use carpenter techniques to make big panel with smaller section (like a kitchen table).

Nobody sells 4x8 hardwood panels

hehe, well thats what I meant, big panels (made out of smaller ones).

Anyway, what do you think of the high quality plywood idea?

Other than that, there isnt much choice..

The maximum base area we can get out of 10" panels is 5.4sd

that would mean, if we keep the same ratio, ~0.7sd / 5.4 sd.

I have to make the port around twice as long to compensate, I dont see any bad sides of this.. but.. I'd want to hear Martin's opinion before proceeding :)

I dont see any specific phase problems too..

heres the sims of that ratio and port lenght

Attachments

• 3.gif
    3.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 785
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.