Finishing hardware - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2008, 05:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Finishing hardware

I'm refining my building technique as I go up the food chain to the Fostex 167e.

Up till now I haven't used machine screws and t-nuts because
the black 10-32 machine screws are not available locally and by order seem to be overpriced with shipping and handling.

It seems there's only one place to get them and that's Parts Express.

I am confounded by why I can't walk into a hardware store and get a standard black machine screw to go with the regular t-nuts.

'Been to McFeely's too. And checked the Madisound catalog.

Has anybody seen these in a walk-in store?
Old 29th October 2008, 05:53 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Finishing hardware

If Home Depot, etc doesn't carry them, you might want to try specialty industrial fastener suppliers for the machine screws. I'd also suggest you try threaded insert fittings rather than T-nuts. There are several types to choose from and many of them can be installed from the front side of the panel, particularly helpful if you're chamfering the cut-out's backside for smaller drivers with both a narrow mounting flange and shallow basket.
Old 29th October 2008, 06:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I believe I checked HD for this item (they have prepacked quantities for most things. Independent hardware stores seem to carry the same line of small hardware in trays and I came up with none.

Woodcrafters doesn't have them.

If it seems like I've wasted a lot of gas looking for the item, it's only half true.

I'm not going to make the full round of stores again even though, as we know, window shopping in hardware stores is a form of entertainment.

Old 29th October 2008, 06:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

you probably spent more on gas than the shipping would have cost - I trust you have some carbon offset point banked up
Old 29th October 2008, 06:40 PM   #5
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.boltdepot.com

Regards, KM
Old 29th October 2008, 06:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do yourself a favor and locate and patronize your local real hardware store . Home Depot and other Borg Box Stores are fine, but their inventory is driven by things other than their relationship with their customers. The local guy (if your lucky enough to have one still in business) on the other hand, sees the value in you counting on him to have what you need, when you need it. If he doesn't have it, he will be happy to get it for you. For me, that's well worth the few cents more I might have to give him for a box of screws.

For some reason, it seems like these places are closely guarded secrets. I lived in Portland for almost 15 years before discovering Winks. Now I'm in Houston and still looking for it's equivalent.

Failing that, this might help:
http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...ction=VIEWCATS
Old 29th October 2008, 07:02 PM   #7
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

That's the problem, Home Depot and Lowes have put the local HW shops out of business. Most people consider a screw a screw and could care less about the quality or finish. The same can be said for electronic components, resistors and capacitors, etc. My favorite places to buy electronic components also went out of business. Radio Shack comes to mind along with the internet. In short, these new giant retail outlets source from the cheapest vendor possible and will switch every week if they can get a better deal elsewhere. Result is you can't buy the same thing multiple times... it's all different stuff. Unfortunately it's like Ivory soap, as 99.44% of the stuff is junk.

As a result, I've opted to do nothing but internet/mail-order for parts... I don't have enough free time to waste driving to 5 or more places looking for a few dollars worth of hardware. The cost is several hours and more gas money than I bought in parts.

Regards, KM
Old 29th October 2008, 07:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrn77478

Failing that, this might help:
http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...ction=VIEWCATS

the button socket heads are my personal favorite - combined with the brass threaded insert fittings

http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...S&Category=212

just take care on installing these
Old 29th October 2008, 07:15 PM   #9
ped is offline ped  United States
diyAudio Member

McMaster-Carr is another good online resource for hardware items
Old 29th October 2008, 08:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I found a yellow pages listing under fasteners. It is not out of the way.

I'd rather go there than try to describe the item over the phone.

And yes I'm well aware what local businesses provide. See the published book called "The Small Mart Revolution."

Last year I just walked into a local gasket manufacturer for some die cut gasket for speaker installs. He cut them for 50 cents each.

When looking for felt, at a billiard supply place the guy gave me a large piece of scrap free. I'm still using it and would recommend his place of business to anyone.

Hide this!Advertise here!