Finishing hardware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm refining my building technique as I go up the food chain to the Fostex 167e.

Up till now I haven't used machine screws and t-nuts because
the black 10-32 machine screws are not available locally and by order seem to be overpriced with shipping and handling.

It seems there's only one place to get them and that's Parts Express.

I am confounded by why I can't walk into a hardware store and get a standard black machine screw to go with the regular t-nuts.

'Been to McFeely's too. And checked the Madisound catalog.

Has anybody seen these in a walk-in store?

If Home Depot, etc doesn't carry them, you might want to try specialty industrial fastener suppliers for the machine screws. I'd also suggest you try threaded insert fittings rather than T-nuts. There are several types to choose from and many of them can be installed from the front side of the panel, particularly helpful if you're chamfering the cut-out's backside for smaller drivers with both a narrow mounting flange and shallow basket.

I believe I checked HD for this item (they have prepacked quantities for most things. Independent hardware stores seem to carry the same line of small hardware in trays and I came up with none.

Woodcrafters doesn't have them.

If it seems like I've wasted a lot of gas looking for the item, it's only half true.

I'm not going to make the full round of stores again even though, as we know, window shopping in hardware stores is a form of entertainment.

;)

Do yourself a favor and locate and patronize your local real hardware store . Home Depot and other Borg Box Stores are fine, but their inventory is driven by things other than their relationship with their customers. The local guy (if your lucky enough to have one still in business) on the other hand, sees the value in you counting on him to have what you need, when you need it. If he doesn't have it, he will be happy to get it for you. For me, that's well worth the few cents more I might have to give him for a box of screws.

For some reason, it seems like these places are closely guarded secrets. I lived in Portland for almost 15 years before discovering Winks. Now I'm in Houston and still looking for it's equivalent. :(

Failing that, this might help:
http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?Category=369&PageAction=VIEWCATS

That's the problem, Home Depot and Lowes have put the local HW shops out of business. Most people consider a screw a screw and could care less about the quality or finish. The same can be said for electronic components, resistors and capacitors, etc. My favorite places to buy electronic components also went out of business. Radio Shack comes to mind along with the internet. In short, these new giant retail outlets source from the cheapest vendor possible and will switch every week if they can get a better deal elsewhere. Result is you can't buy the same thing multiple times... it's all different stuff. Unfortunately it's like Ivory soap, as 99.44% of the stuff is junk.

As a result, I've opted to do nothing but internet/mail-order for parts... I don't have enough free time to waste driving to 5 or more places looking for a few dollars worth of hardware. The cost is several hours and more gas money than I bought in parts.

Regards, KM

I found a yellow pages listing under fasteners. It is not out of the way.

I'd rather go there than try to describe the item over the phone.

And yes I'm well aware what local businesses provide. See the published book called "The Small Mart Revolution."

Last year I just walked into a local gasket manufacturer for some die cut gasket for speaker installs. He cut them for 50 cents each.

When looking for felt, at a billiard supply place the guy gave me a large piece of scrap free. I'm still using it and would recommend his place of business to anyone.

loninappleton said:
I found a yellow pages listing under fasteners. It is not out of the way.

I'd rather go there than try to describe the item over the phone.

And yes I'm well aware what local businesses provide. See the published book called "The Small Mart Revolution."

Last year I just walked into a local gasket manufacturer for some die cut gasket for speaker installs. He cut them for 50 cents each.

When looking for felt, at a billiard supply place the guy gave me a large piece of scrap free. I'm still using it and would recommend his place of business to anyone.

I went to the local fastener place which was bigger and more commercial than expected. The fastener expert said, lon get a can of spray paint, screw the standard screws to a piece of cardboard and you're done.

It lacks elegance if for the only reason that the screws are not likley to be screwed in one time but a whole bunch of times.

PE has a packed set of larger black oxide screws with regular t-nuts. The by the piece black oxide machine screws they have are hex head only-- rather than phillips.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psh...775&FTR=260-775&CFID=5749760&CFTOKEN=92282124

loninappleton said:
I'm refining my building technique as I go up the food chain to the Fostex 167e.

Up till now I haven't used machine screws and t-nuts because
the black 10-32 machine screws are not available locally and by order seem to be overpriced with shipping and handling.

It seems there's only one place to get them and that's Parts Express.

I am confounded by why I can't walk into a hardware store and get a standard black machine screw to go with the regular t-nuts.

'Been to McFeely's too. And checked the Madisound catalog.

Has anybody seen these in a walk-in store?

Fastenal should have what you need.

There's a branch at:

1050 N. Perkins St.
Appleton, WI 54914
P: (920)738-0300
F: (920)738-7266

See post above.

That's where I went and the guy told me to get a can of Rust-Oleum.

:eek:

Since this is a test box, no real biggie. I can always use the black oxide regular wood screws I got from PE. I don't use that many
and have a good stock of those.

PE is not a fastener manufacturer. Their packaged product and
by the piece screws should be out there someplace at distributors like Fastenal.

Parts are where you find them. Out here in central Arkansas, I get specialty parts at my local real hardware store. If I need a box of 50 or 100, I get them on line at McMasters.

Funny thing. The farther you get away from a big city, the better your chance of finding a retail outlet that caters to farmers and builders. These guys tend to have a few of everything. For instance, the 1/4"x20 stainless steel cap screws I use with F200A's -- my guy stocks exactly 7 pieces. When I need a set of 8, I have to make two trips! But he does have them.

BTW, I use 10-24 black oxide cap screws on most Fostex and 1/4"-20 black oxide on Lowther. I use the stainless steel cap screws for the aluminum basket Fostex. Screw inserts for all.

Bob

chicks said:

You're right, that's an impressively well designed web site. Very easy to navigate, and fast. Compared to, say, Mouser.com, it's refreshing.

Yes, A jillion parts but nothing called black.

This was at least interesting to me coming form Wisconsin:

Head Style Cheese
Self Locking Element None
Drive Style Slotted
System of Measurement Metric
Specifications Met Deutsche Industrie Normen (DIN)
DIN Specification DIN 84
Screw Quantity Individual Screw

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.